This is iDVD-forum - not DVD Studio Pro - so answer is limited to lack of Know-All
A. Brand of DVD matters - Memorex, NoName etc cheap brands usually DO NOT work for Video-DVD - as Data-DVD they might be OK.
I only use Verbatim
B. DVD type matters - DVD+/-RW usually do not work. DVD+R only on newer DVD-players.
I use DVD-R
C. DL-DVD use to give more problems than SL-DVDs
D. BURN SPEED !
I set it to x2 or x4 MAX (iDVD pref / Advance / bottom of this window
And how You go from FinalCut to iDVD also matters - see next partFCE/P to iDVD
• How to go from FCE/P to iDVD
• Free space on Start-up hard disk
• Brand and type of DVDs used
• Burn speed set
• iDVD BUG
How to go from FCE/P to iDVD I do
• Disable Screen and Energy saver
• IMPORTANT --> FIRST in FinalCut - Mix Down Audio under Sequence Menu / Render Only / Mix-down
• Export out as a QuickTime .mov file
• Select with Mark - Chapter Mark
• Not as Self-Contained (not important but saves time and space)
• NO QUICKTIME CONVERSION (IMPORTANT)
This QT.mov file I import into iDVD from within iDVD.
Free space on Start-up hard disk
I set a minimum of 25GB (for Mac OS and iDVDs temp files)
• I use Pro Quality encoding
Brand and type of DVDs used
• I use Verbatim
• I use DVD-R
Burn speed set
• I set down this to x4 (or x1)
• One can not go back to movie-project for any alterations and then go back to
the iDVD project. It will notice and ask You to either Up-date or Cancel. Neither
of them will work.
Medicine - Start a brand new iDVD project.
Use of Chapters
• I only use a to z and 0 to 9 in naming them. NO other symbol/letter !
• NO Chapter-mark at very beginning - iDVD NEEDS TO set this by it self
• No Chapter marks in or within two seconds from a transition
(Way around this last one - Export movie as QT full quality and NO Chapter marks
Import this into a new Movie-project and now You are free to set C-Ms where You want
them except at very beginning - still)
Material used to build movie
• video - I use streamingDV (or convert all other to this e.g. .mp4, .avi, .wmv etc)
• audio - I use .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or from Audio-CD (44.1kHz) - no .mp3 or direct from iTunes
• photos - I use .jpg - no .bmp etc
Trash iDVD pref. file and run Repair Permissions - and have a re-try.
from post ??
May not be relevant, but I had the same problem with iDVD, where burned DVDs showed a green screen. It was cured by quitting Quicksilver and Quickeys as well as disabling sleep and screen-saving
Yours Bengt W
Thanks Bengt W
A lot to take in immediately.
My thought was to uprade to the new Final CutX, but I have had very mixed feed back about it.
Will certainly run my work through iDVD like you suggest, which I have never done before. I just like the templates provided, besides they usually lead to a satisfactory outcome using DVD Studio Pro.
This last result caught me unawares with profound frustration and indignation!
Apple have been helpful but pointed out that they have dropped the DVD Studio Pro product, so were not much help.
However, thanks for your help and interest.
Does DVDSP allow you to save the project as a disk image like iDVD does? If so create a disk image and play it with DVD Player. If it plays OK it should burn and be useable in DVD players if you follow Bengt's recommendations on disc brands and burn speed.
The following is the workflow recommended to iDVD users.
Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.
To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.
Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.