Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install Snow Leopard using another computer?

My 2009 MacBook meets all the criteria for the Snow Leopard upgrade, but my dvd drive is broken. Every time insert the dvd it is spit out (it is the same for audio cd's as well). I have tried repairing the drive and installing snow leopard using an external dvd drive (with no luck). I need a simple guide for using another computer to do the upgrade. My boyfriend has a newer MacBook Pro and I believe is operating on Lion. I want to use his computer to upgrade mine, is it possible eventhough we are on different operating systems?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 8:18 AM

Connect them with a FireWire cable, put the DVD in the newer MacBook Pro, and start up that computer with the T key held down.

(75524)

8 replies

Jan 29, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Niel

I don't know what a server machine is but I doubt I have it. The directions for installing the program on another computer (via the manual) say that I can simply use the optical drive and with the dvd/cd sharing preferences open on that computer. If I insert the Snow Leopard disk on the MacBook Pro (not my computer) will it automatically start installing itself?

How do I install Snow Leopard using another computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.