Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change keyboard shortcuts

I'm logged in as the Administrator. I go to System Preferences/Keyboard and to the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. I select Launchpad & Dock from the left column and check Show Launchpad on the right. A field appears to key in a command but nothing will type into that field. When I checked the other items that are in the left column, none of them will allow me to type anything into the field either.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong but if you have any ideas let me know! Thanks for the help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 5:07 PM

I am working in my Snow Leopard partition. If it still isn't clear, I can post screen shots of what I mean tomorrow.

6 replies

Jan 29, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Eric Root

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this but Show Launchpad is highlighted in the right column after selecting Launchpad & Dock in Keyboard Shortcuts. There is a checkmark to the left of the Show Launchpad which brings up a field to the right that you should be able to enter text into. At the insertion point I try to type something and nothing shows up all I get is the Alert sound.

Jan 29, 2013 4:49 PM in response to MacDaddi

What worked for me was instead of trying to type directly into the field on the right, I hit the keys I wanted to be the shortcut, which entered into the field. For example, I at first selected an fn key and it entered into the field. I then highlighted the entry and hit another key and it became the shortcut. Once you have the field open, you hit the desired key combination to enter it without having to type it directly into the field.

Jan 30, 2013 7:56 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric,

Not clicking in the window where the insertion point is but just typing worked. If you click in the window where the insertion point is you can't enter anything.

I know of no other place in the Mac OS or any application that they have ever come out with that works this way. It's the little inconsistencies like this that I'm seeing more and more crop up in every new OS release.

Can't change keyboard shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.