Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Observations on a successful 6.1 SW upgrade

Yesterday Apple released iOS 6.1. Besides the stated features, there appear to be Easter eggs in the package. But the pros and cons of the content will be discussed elsewhere. I'd like to discuss the process of doing the upgrade in the safest fashion.

My new i5 came with 6.0.1. Mere days after getting it, 6.0.2 rolled out. Being young and naive, I recklessly went for an OTA upgrade. At the time, the carrier had 4G/LTE up and the process went uneventfully.

Now with 6.1, their LTE network has collapsed and they fell back on 3G, with less than stellar coverage. I decided to do the upgrade tethering the phone via USB cable to iTunes 11.0.1 running on my 10.7.5 MBP. And would like to present why it is the safest way to do an upgrade and why you should do yours with the backup of your computer.

First, the mechanics. After you plug in the phone and start up iTunes, the device will show up in the left pane. Selecting it and clicking the Summary tab, the Backups section is your focus. Either ensure tha Automatic Back Up is chosen to be done on the computer or do a Manual Back Up. iCloud automatic backup is not a desirable option at this time cause it does NOT back up all the contents and settings of the phone and will complicate recovery if it comes to that. To do an Automatic Back Up, you need to click the Sync button. A Manual Back Up is carried out at the click without having to visit the Sync button. Now click on Check for Update. iTunes will contact the App Store (you may need to sign in), detect 6.1 is available, and offer to Ignore, Download Only or Download and Update. Click Download and Update. iTunes will download and store in the Mac the 6.1 code, keeping it handy for any future use (i.e., phone restores or updating more than one phone). The file is somewhat large so be patient; on my 5Mbps ADSL home link with a wired connection, it took around 25 minutes. iTunes will be checkpointing and validating the download to ensure no errors.

Download completes and the phone's screen will show a globe with a USB plug pointing to it. At this point make sure it does not get disconnected till the process concludes or risk a bricked phone. Needless to say, the Mac should be connected to its power adapter so it doesn't run out of juice. The phone restarts and goes offline into maintenance mode, with the silver Apple logo on the screen. In iTunes progress bar, the current phone software and contents will be validated, the phone's registry and entitlements will be checked with Apple and software update commences. A progress bar will appear under the Apple logo on the phone screen. At the 50% mark, iTunes announces that the firmware will be updated. The progress bar fills up and iTunes states the phone will then restart, disconnecting itself from the Mac, and to wait till it reappears on iTunes' window.

Phone starts up but the usual green battery charging splash screen is replaced with an "IOS 6" logo and "slide to unlock" with "Configure" displayed in different languages. Doing so leads you to an "accept the terms" screen and then a "sign in to the App Store" screen where you have to retype your AppleID password. Finally it is back in its Home screen and ready to use both in iTunes as well as a fully updated iPhone.

Advantages to doing an upgrade this way?

• The main download is carried out in the Mac, which can be set up with a faster and more reliable wired connection. Plus no cellular data charges.
  • The download is kept on the Mac for any further need, including updating several phones. Multi-iPhone families, take notice.
  • The process is extensively validated at all points. Provided you don't inadvertently pull the plug, the phone is never at risk anytime.
  • Should it be necessary, recovery is speedier since everything is backed up.
  • No risk of power loss and code corruption, provided you plug the Mac to the wall.
  • The process is extensively documented in a detailed log, useful if anything should go wrong.

For those fellow forum members who help out less fortunate users with sick phones, this last point seems quite useful. At the end of the process, the Mac's Console app will get you access to an iPhoneUpdate.log for each update. It documents in excruciating detail every bit of the process, which should prove invaluable if something goes wrong.

So there you have it. For those who have resisted all the way to here, thank you for your endurance. May this be of use.

Anything you'd like to add?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2.4GHz, 16GB, Widescreen/Anti-glare

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:00 AM

18 replies

Jan 29, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Courcoul

Now with 6.1, their LTE network has collapsed and they fell back on 3G, with less than stellar coverage. I decided to do the upgrade tethering the phone via USB cable to iTunes 11.0.1 running on my 10.7.5 MBP. And would like to present why it is the safest way to do an upgrade and why you should do yours with the backup of your computer.

why not wifi? That way you can 1. use icloud to back up - way more simple for me, being simpleton.

2. No need to restore from back up or sync.

Jan 29, 2013 9:10 AM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

Did the update add Flash support?

Haven't tested, but would imagine Job's ghost would rise from the grave if it did!

Tentatively, I'd hazard "better battery life". The thing used to drain about 5-6% of its juice overnight. This morning, 8 hours after last night's update, it had drained ZERO. 100% battery on the meter! And it had Cellular/Cellular Data/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth on, just Location services were off.

Jan 29, 2013 9:16 AM in response to fromsouth

fromsouth wrote:

why not wifi? That way you can 1. use icloud to back up - way more simple for me, being simpleton.

2. No need to restore from back up or sync.

Reliability. You have the Mac and its 750GB (in my case) of backup capability. Not subject to Wi-Fi's fadeouts.

As for iCloud backup, remember it does NOT contain the entire phone's contents. If worse comes to pass, you may not even be able to fully reconstruct the phone from whatever's left in the Clouds.

Jan 29, 2013 12:35 PM in response to Courcoul

Further info that may be of use.

The iOS 6.1 installer is kept by iTunes in its ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates folder. The little critter weighs in at 1.04GB and appears to be model-specific, as expected. File name is iPhone5,1_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw

All the non-default apps you have installed EVER, whether still on the phone or not, are found in ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications. All such files have a .ipa suffix.

Jan 30, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Courcoul

Let me add this extra writeup I posted on another thread, to complement this discussion:

This morning I posted a writeup on how the 6.1 went when doing it tethered via USB to iTunes on a Mac and using a local (not iCloud) backup. Also mentioned that doing it this way left behind an extremely detailed log of the proceedings on the Mac.

Well, after perusing this thread again, then going back and examining my upgrade log, I think I have an idea why some of us have had equal or improved battery life in the first few hours post-upgrade, while others have seen the device drain away. The key, it would seem, is the kind of backup you have: iCloud vs. local.

You see, the upgrade wipes the phone absolutely clean. A Restore is mandatory after completion, else you'd have a totally blank phone and all users would be screaming bloody murder. Where it gets the stuff for the restore causes the battery longevity issues.

When using a local storage, EVERYTHING on the phone gets saved. Every little bit. So Restore is merely an act of copying all back, at USB speed. Furthermore, iTunes tells you to wait till the phone comes back online (post-Restore) before unplugging it. All this is supported by the log I got as a bonus.

When I was reviewing what iCloud storage offered, they clearly state that only "the most important data" is placed in the cloud. Naturally, Apple will only give us the bare minimum to store only irreplaceable data. Stuff that can be recomputed, like thumbnails, indexes, etc., are left out. So, when you upgraded OTA only the barebones data went in the cloud, and then fetched back at the end. THEN the phone had to chug along for quite awhile to reconstruct the rest of the stuff. The bigger the photo collection, the larger the song lists, the longer the contacts, the more the phone had to do. And there goes the battery.

Maybe someone who hasn't upgraded and plans to do so OTA can make sure to have an app like Device Doctor installed, where you can measure CPU workload and the number of processes. Check it before the upgrade and immediately after to confirm whether the phone is chugging away like a maniac or not.

Feb 1, 2013 8:10 AM in response to Courcoul

I'm not sure about the statement about a complete wipe. I have an iPhone 5 with iCloud backup turned off. I don't use iCloud for anything on the phone. I took the software download directly on the phone, and it did the whole process, started up again, and all my downloaded apps and photos are there as expected. It was never cabled to my laptop for the process. So, that would imply that you will NOT lose everything if you don't cable it, and even if you don't use the cloud.

I'm happy that I'm not experiencing the battery problem at all. However, I haven't given the ok for the rest of our company to take the update yet because of the reported issues others are having. Hopefully it gets worked out soon.

Observations on a successful 6.1 SW upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.