Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sent folder not syncing with Sent folder on MacBook, Sent folder not syncing with Sent folder on MacBook

I have an IMAP mail account. My understanding is that folders should be synced across devices with this type of account. My inbox is syncing fine, but the sent folder on my laptop is not updated. Messages sent from the iPad never show up in the sent folder on the MacBook. Is there something I can do to get them to do so?

Of interest may be the fact that I have duplicate sets of folders, one that is used by Mail, one that seems to be provided by my ISP [AT&T] but is not used by Mail.

Thanks,

Eric Weir

iPad, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 6:34 AM

I have a solution. Not ideal, but at least I can get sent messages from the iPad to the MacBook. Just not automatically.

It turns out that the IMAP mailboxes include two sent boxes, one called "sent" and one "sent messages." I had not checked the latter previously. The messages sent from the iPad were in it. So I can just move (or copy) them to Mail's sent box.

It would be nice if the Mail sent box on the iPad would sync with the Mail sent box on the MacBook.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2013 6:34 AM in response to EricWeir

I have a solution. Not ideal, but at least I can get sent messages from the iPad to the MacBook. Just not automatically.

It turns out that the IMAP mailboxes include two sent boxes, one called "sent" and one "sent messages." I had not checked the latter previously. The messages sent from the iPad were in it. So I can just move (or copy) them to Mail's sent box.

It would be nice if the Mail sent box on the iPad would sync with the Mail sent box on the MacBook.

Feb 5, 2013 10:58 AM in response to EricWeir

Hi Guys

There is a way to fix this fully.

I wrecked my brains for a while and even switched to Outlook as I managed to get that to work.

Then I hit on the way yo make the Apple Mail application work as well.

The above comments are right you will find different folders in Mail that are used for saving your sent e-mails, and these will be different between what you see on your IMAP web mail when you log in via a browser / iPad / using Mail. (I am connecting to Yahoo mail)

Easy solution. In the Mail application on your MacBook, select the folder called "Sent" in your IMAP / Yahoo mailbox area (I no longer have it there in example below), then got to:

Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent

....and hey presto that will set it to be the same mailbox as in your web IMAP account / iPad / iPhone

Hopefully this will save you wasting a whole day on this......which is what I did

All the best

Rory

User uploaded file

Feb 6, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Rory McCamley

Thanks, Rory. I was hopeful when I got the email about your post. Alas, it doesn't work for me. I don't get that option for mail boxes. The only one close to relevant is "Synchroize "IMAP".

I'm still on Snow Leopard. I'm guessing you're on Lion or Mountain Lion.

Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless. I'll know what to do when I do eventuallly upgrade.

Aug 1, 2015 9:45 PM in response to Rory McCamley

Thank you sooooo much! I spent 2 hours on the phone with 2 different people from apple support and they only thing they could suggest was to delete and readd all my accounts on my iphone and my apple mail app (super annoying). the dude's shift ended without the problem being solved so i figured i'd try one last google search.. This finally worked! hooray! super confusing with the "sent" and "sent messages" yahoo folders but it worked! all my sents from my mac show up on my phone now too THANK HEAVENS!

Sent folder not syncing with Sent folder on MacBook, Sent folder not syncing with Sent folder on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.