Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know how to setup and automount /Network/Library

Does anyone know how to setup a shared library to share fonts etc on a 10.8 server and then set clients to automount it?

I know this has come up before but wanted to see if anyone made headway on it.

In the past we were able to set up the shared network library on the server and clients easily with just a couple of selections in the admin GUI but that ability appears to be gone. I am not looking for a workaround since I have already put all items which I used to have in the shared library onto each of our clients manually as a workaround.

Thanks.

OS X Server

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 10:50 AM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

In Workgroup Manager, select the computer that you want to have the automount happen on, assuming it's bounds to the server.

Mount the share in question on the computer that has workgroup manager. (unfortunately you can't have WGM do this step on the same computer that is sharing the ... ...share...)

Open Workgroup Manager.

Select the Preferences button.

Click the "Login" button.

Click the Items button.

Select Always.

Click the + button.

Select the share you want to automount.

Click Okay

Select the share in the list.

Put a check mark in the box that says, "Authenticate selected share point with user's login name and password."

Click Apply Now.

Hope that helps!

-Graham

Jan 29, 2013 12:52 PM in response to gracoat

Graham,

Thank you for the idea but it was the first one I tried. It generates a URL of afp://server.fqdn.com/Library

That mount method does not put the mounted Library in the standard place that the OS looks for a Network Library and as a result does not allow for Library type items to be shared or used as though they were on the startup drive's /Library. It mounts on the desktop on user login in the same way one would manually mount any other share.

In the past the /Network/Library when set up using the "Network Library" selector by WGM did not show up on the user's desktop. It was mounted as a guest by the OS at startup. As a result it showed up on the server as a guest connection from any bound client even when there was not a user logged into the client.

Any other ideas?

Mar 6, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

Hey Erich. Thanks for letting me know. After a few Apple Enterprise techs told me they've never heard of it, one guy told me it might be possible via modifying some plist files with some now hidden settings, but it's no longer a supported option. If you have OS X Server set up with Profile Manager, I think one good way to do this would be to push a login script that handles the mount through code. You can still mount to the exact same place. This way, you have the most control over it and you're not using an unsupported option. I was trying to use this with fonts but I've decided that it's be best to rsync them locally on login anyways in case people are working remotely. Accessing each font over the internet seems like a bad idea.

Mar 9, 2015 3:07 PM in response to appleculture

I guess I must be getting old or the techs who are around are young. This was something that the server was able to do without significant effort for quite some time. If I remember correctly it was a checkbox in Server Admin. Anyway, I agree that while the ideas to implement it may be sound, the work to put it in place is not worth it.

Mar 11, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

Erich Wetzel wrote:

I guess I must be getting old or the techs who are around are young. This was something that the server was able to do without significant effort for quite some time. If I remember correctly it was a checkbox in Server Admin. Anyway, I agree that while the ideas to implement it may be sound, the work to put it in place is not worth it.

Don't worry your mind is not going I remember this feature as well and used to use it. 🙂

The way it (used) to work was that when you defined a share you could also define what type of auto-mount it was, the usual choice being for home directories. This was actually done in Server Admin - not Workgroup Manager or Server.app.

The choices were -

• User home folders and group folders
  • Shared Applications folder
  • Shared Library folder
  • Custom mount path

In Server.app 4.x the only choice now is "Make available for home directories".

Since existing defined mounts do get migrated successfully to Server.app it would seem reasonable to assume that Open Directory can still store and utilise these definitions and so can current Mac clients it is merely that the GUI in Server.app does not let you define them any more. As you cannot use 'ye olde' Server Admin to manage a new style server the only options would be to either try hand editing the LDAP records, or try using a suitable command line tool, perhaps dscl?

A different approach would be to use a commercial font-server package which is what I suspect most design houses do these days.

Anyone know how to setup and automount /Network/Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.