Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find my iPad with "Find My iPad!" . . .

I have a wifi only iPad 4. I have set up "Find My iPad." I have set up the 4-digit password. If someone steals my iPad, and can't get log into a network, how will I find my iPad? It doesn't seem to be able to find it if it hasn't accessed the internet.

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 10:34 AM

9 replies

Aug 24, 2015 7:20 AM in response to ronnelco

As said before, to be found it needs to be connected to the internet. It may not be connected to Wifi currently.

As far as wiping goes. in February of 2013 when this thread was last active iOS 7 was not yet released and such devices could be restored / wiped to unlock.

Today, while they can still be restored, by connecting them to a computer in DFU mode. Once restored, and if Find My iPhone is on, it will request the iCloud Apple ID used to set up find My iPhone.

Unless that is provided, the device will remain at activation lock and unusable.

iCloud: Activation Lock

It will no longer be able to be located if it is wiped though.

Oct 9, 2015 4:23 PM in response to archfoto

Well a simpler way, if people know iPhone/ipad is to use Siri. You can push the home button to access Siri & ask, What's my name. When I just did that on my locked iPad it showed my name & email. Can't remember if it showed my phone #.

But it looks like otherwise, Find my iPhone/iPad is rather useless to find the device, except for ones w cellular.

I left my iPad in my car last night (locked) & didn't realize it until rather late. When I couldn't find it inside, I figured it was probably in the car. Tried find my iPad but it showed offline. So, as others said, in most cases if it was left some place it would be offline--unless we had accessed wifi there.

So maybe we should make it a point of accessing wifi at places we might have our iPad even if we don't actually need to use wifi there. But I guess I have logged into wifi at various places such as my office, church, Starbucks & Burgerville & some other places.

But I've noticed that it seems like it may lose that when iOS is upgraded.

Can't find my iPad with "Find My iPad!" . . .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.