Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help With a WD HD.

Hey guys,

I recently backed up about 300 GB of films to a portable HD that I got for Xmas. When I first started to use it, formatted it to use with Time Machine. Then after I heard about Carbon Copy Cloner, I started to use that instead.

I didn't back up the films with CCC or TM, instead I just dragged and dropped all the films to make it easier to back up with CCC.

However, my question is this:

Why can I not play films from the HD without it lagging and running very very slow?

I saw on the Internet that it's possible without any complications, but why cannot I not play them. Is it something to do with the way I formatted it to use with my Mac/Time Machine?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Sam

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 12:07 PM

How is it connected, USB or Firewire? If Firewire, is it 400 or 800? USB will be the slowest, next is FW 400, then FW 800. And even FW 800 won't really come close to the speed of the internal.

How did you format it?

3 replies

Help With a WD HD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.