Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drive access impossibly slow... Even though target disk!

Drive access on our MacBook Pro is suddenly impossibly slow - taking five, ten minutes to startup, and being unable to complete an install (Java update). I found no errors in disk repair and just 'ignorable' errors in permissions. Programs crashing or haltling - even Finder and Force Quit aren't coming up.

Plugged it into my white MacBook to run Drive Genius to see if the drive could be salvaged, and disk access is slow even this way. Crazy slow, like taking several minutes just to get the drive information.

Size: 499.25 GB (464.96 GiB, 499,248,103,424 bytes)

Formatted As: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Volume Block Count: 121,886,744

Volume Block Size: 4,096 bytes

Volume Size: 499.25 GB (464.96 GiB, 499,248,103,424 bytes)

Journal: Enabled

Used: 259.67 GB (241.83 GiB, 259,666,432,000 bytes), 52.01%

So it seems normal, just really, exceedingly, impossibly slow.

What are the possible solutions? I'm not entirely certain it's just the drive; one of the USB ports on the computer is randomly non functioning, no software indications.

-Crissa

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 8GB RAM

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:42 PM

Using the online hardware test tool (Boot using Option+D) I was able to discern that the operaitng system had decided the drive was bad without actually telling me it was bad. Eventually the drive completely failed.

While it was slow, I had backed everything up. I found a guide to replacing the HD, although I did not actually need the fancy screwdriver to put the drive back in. It was very simple!

The USB issue still comes and goes, though.

-Crissa

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Crissa

Using the online hardware test tool (Boot using Option+D) I was able to discern that the operaitng system had decided the drive was bad without actually telling me it was bad. Eventually the drive completely failed.

While it was slow, I had backed everything up. I found a guide to replacing the HD, although I did not actually need the fancy screwdriver to put the drive back in. It was very simple!

The USB issue still comes and goes, though.

-Crissa

Drive access impossibly slow... Even though target disk!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.