Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a G4 Power Mac to my Mac mini?

I have some older Poser content (Poser 4 and 5) on CD-ROMs that I would like to use with Poser 7. Unfortunately, the discs are PowerPC only and the content is not accssible on my Mac mini. I still have my G4 Power Mac and would like to use it as a secondary CD-ROM drive with my Mac mini. Is that posslble?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 1:28 PM

10 replies

Jan 29, 2013 2:39 PM in response to JVipond

You could enable Screen Sharing on your G4 Power Mac and network it to your Mac Mini and have concurrent use of both environments on one screen. You would probably lose cut & paste and other cross-window features, but it would work.

I initially used this method to continue to use Quicken 2002 after I replaced my iMac G5 with a 2011 Mac Mini (whose Lion eliminated Rosetta needed for PowerPC applications), networking it to my Snow Leopard 2009 MBP. Intuit later released Quicken 2007 for Lion and I upgraded.

But before that happened, I developed a method to install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels on the Mac Mini and was able to run both environments concurrently on the Mac Mini. Also Parallels 8 adds Cut & Paste capability:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Full Snow Leopard installation instructions here

NOTE: Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization. So this method may not be suitable for Poser.

You can download a 14 day trial version of Parallels 8 for freeand see if that works for you.

Jan 29, 2013 5:24 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael, but I don't need to copy or paste anything. I just want to transfer some of my Poser 4 content (specifically, the Poser 4 animal models) to my Mac mini for use in Poser 7. That is why I asked my original question. I'm currently running Snow Leopard on my Mac mini. I'll download the Parallels trial and see how it works.

Jan 29, 2013 6:31 PM in response to JVipond

Well, ask there, too; but I am still a bit confused, but maybe can help if the confusion is cleared up:

JVipond wrote:

I have some older Poser content (Poser 4 and 5) on CD-ROMs that I would like to use with Poser 7. Unfortunately, the discs are PowerPC only and the content is not accssible on my Mac mini. I still have my G4 Power Mac and would like to use it as a secondary CD-ROM drive with my Mac mini. Is that posslble?

Tell me if I have these facts correct:

1. The CD-ROMs are program discs for Poser 4 and/or 5,and NOT where the animal model data files reside.

2. Or, in addition to being program discs they have some "canned" templates, such as animal modes located on the Poser 4 CD-ROM.

If 1 is correct then the issue is just moving and/or networking files over to the Mac Mini for use in Poser 7.

If 2 is correct you need to "suck" off the animal models from this CD-ROM on the G4 Power Mac, save them as data files and then move them over.

If your need is to actually access the full, executable CD-ROM on your Mac Mini, then the question is how old is your Mac Mini?

If 2010 and older, you can partition your hard drive or connect an external hard drive to your Mac Mini, install Snow Leopard (with the optional Rosetta) and then have the ability to "dual-boot" into either SL or Mt. Lion. When in SL, you can run the CD-ROM, but not concurrently with Poser 7 in Mt. Lion. If it is 2011 and newer, you cannot boot into SL on your Mac Mini.

The Parallels suggestion is the only way you will be able to run both the CD-ROM and Poser 7 concurrently.

Am I getting warmer

UPDATE: Another suggestion: can you insert the CD-ROM into your Mac Mini and look for animal model data files that you can copy to your Mac Mini hard drive and access them from Poser 7; that is, DO NOT attempt to run the CD-ROM on your Mac Mini - just copy off the data files needed, if accessable.

Jan 29, 2013 7:05 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Michael, I bought Poser 4 on two discs: an application disc and a content disc. The animal models appear to be on the application disc, as the "Morphs & Figures" folder on the content disc contains only human models. When I insert the Poser 4 application disc into my Mac mini, a first-generation model which is running Snow Leopard, I can't open the Poser 4 installer because the Classic environment is no longer supported. It seems that the figures, props, pose files, etc. are installed along with the Poser application.

So yes, I am seeking to access the Poser 4 content disc on my G4 Power Mac, which runs an older version of Mac OS X with the Classic environment, and then transfer the animal models from there to my Mac mini. I hope I've clarified my problem.

Jan 29, 2013 8:12 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

From your description, here are your earlier options repeated, but only those applicable to your situation:

2. Or, in addition to being program discs they have some "canned" templates, such as animal modes located on the Poser 4 CD-ROM.

If 2 is correct you need to "suck" off the animal models from this CD-ROM on the G4 Power Mac, save them as data files and then move them over.

If 2010 and older, you can partition your hard drive or connect an external hard drive to your Mac Mini, install Snow Leopard (with the optional Rosetta) and then have the ability to "dual-boot" into either SL or Mt. Lion. When in SL, you can run the CD-ROM, but not concurrently with Poser 7 in Mt. Lion. If it is 2011 and newer, you cannot boot into SL on your Mac Mini.

The Parallels suggestion is the only way you will be able to run both the CD-ROM and Poser 7 concurrently.

Another suggestion: can you insert the CD-ROM into your Mac Mini and OPEN FOLDERS and look for animal model data files that you can copy to your Mac Mini hard drive and access them from Poser 7; that is, DO NOT attempt to run the CD-ROM on your Mac Mini - just copy off the data files needed, if accessable.

Jan 29, 2013 10:42 PM in response to JVipond

To complicate matters further, from wikipedia, it appears that Poser 4 was released in 1999, which means it was written for Mac OS 9 and will only run on your Tiger G4 in the Classic Environment. Is that true? Can you run Poser 4 on your G4?

So running it on your newer Mac in emulation requires a different solution than Parallels; it requires a "Classic on Intel" solution, which is SheepShaver:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Here is a recent post I assembled about that emulator:

With the newer Intel Macs, you have to run a Classic emulator such as SheepShaver, which requires you to extract the Mac ROMs from your older Classic Mac and then install Mac OS 9.

A related program is Chubby Bunny, which comes bundled with all of that included.

More information on SheepShaver:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

and

http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers/mac-os-9-classic-support-faq/run-macos-9-on- intel-macs.html

and more information about Chubby Bunny:

http://www.macwindows.com/OS9_on_Intel_Mac.html#092408b

and

http://hackthemac.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/chubby-bunny-old-virtual-machine.html

I still think that putting the CD-ROM into your modern Mac and looking through all the folders for the image file you need; and then copying it to your Mac's hard disk is the easiest answer for you.

Can I connect a G4 Power Mac to my Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.