6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 3:17 PM by lkrupp
fk23 Level 1 (0 points)

It's been stuck about 3/4 way through the 'Preparing update Step 1 of 2" bit for a good hour now.  Any suggestions as to what to do?

It says don't unplug, but I'm going to have to at some point aren't I?

ATV2 here.

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.1
  • jtb62 Level 1 (5 points)

It took my Apple TV close to 3+ hours to update last night. I started it and after about an hour it seemed just stuck. Read online people were having very slow updates and left it alone. Went to bed at 11:30pm and around 12:30am awoke and it was in screensaver mode; so it had rebooted. Checked it in the morning and the update went through. But it essentially took all night.

• fk23 Level 1 (0 points)

That seems unusual, these updates are usually fine. I could understand if it was the download being stubborn but the actual update. Weird. I'll keep it on until Morning and hope it does its business. I'll keep the thread posted.

Thanks.

• No-Nonsense Level 1 (0 points)

I do have exactly the same issue with my Apple TV 3. It's stuck at about 75% now for about two hours.

Is ist safe to disconnect the power and will I then still be able to restore it via iTunes?

• jtb62 Level 1 (5 points)

No. Don't disconnect. You could 'brick' your device. It's going to take a couple of hours... just let it do its thing.

• fk23 Level 1 (0 points)

It's worked now, took about three hours but it just started working. Horray!

• lkrupp Level 4 (3,965 points)

I left my ATV2 do its thing over night after experiencing the same issue. All was well and the update had completed when I checked this morning. Strange.