Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal buggy looping on iMac Lion

i have this weird thing happening: when i launch iCal i keep getting: "Adding a new event. This calendar contains a new event. Please select a destination calendar:" and i then select a calendar and hit OK but this then repeats a million times but never progresses until it finally freezes.

- running 10.7.5 - and i don't appear to even HAVE a Library under Macintosh HD/Users/myusername/ ?!

i do, however, have Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences but no com.apple.iCal at all. none.

i've never used iCal before today, finally set it up on my iPhone and iPad (it works in these two places) and to sync to iCloud. i think unbeknownst to me this meetup group i belong to sent a million calendar invitations this past year and the incoming invitations may be clogging things up.

help?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 12:38 PM

21 replies

Feb 1, 2013 7:27 PM in response to skottez

skottez,

You may be looking in the wrong Library for the Calendars Folder/Preferences Folder to remove the cache/plist files.

1. Make sure iCal is not running.

2. Go to your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars Folder and move any any files with "Cache" listed in the name field to your Desktop. To find the correct Library folder, go to the Finder menu and select "Go," while holding the "Go" menu depress the "option" key to reveal the desired Library folder.

3. To remove the iCal plist file go to your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences Folder and move the com.apple.iCal.plist file to the Desktop. To find the correct Library folder, go to the Finder menu and select "Go," while holding the "Go" menu depress the "option" key to reveal the desired Library folder.

4. Log out/in or restart, and open Calendar.

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 11:39 AM in response to Ferd II

i would give tall dollars to have been looking in the wrong Library . . . as i wrote above i do not have a "Library" under Macintosh/HD/users/myusername/ . . . (and yes, i know 'myusername' means my actual username.)

how could it have gotten lost? in checking my external backup hard drive it appears to be there until last June and then stopped being backed up.

do i just drag that Library onto my desktop? or where? then at least i'll be able to perform your instructions above, but will it mess up any of my other stuff?

thanks for your help.

Feb 2, 2013 12:34 PM in response to skottez

skottez,

there is also this "lockfile" plist there. should i remove it, too?

file://localhost/Users/scottj/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist.lockfile

I would not be concerned about the lockfile plist, but I do question the "localhost" file path.

Are you connected to any type of network?

The greyed out Libray appearance is a puzzle for me.

What kind of permissions are listed for that home Library Folder?

Is your external backup hard drive on, or off?

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Ferd II

first, the

file://localhost/Users/scottj/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist

was in the preferences folder after log out/in.

i'm only on my home network - wifi through airport express, running spotify through airfoil.

external hard drive has been on today since i looked for previous 'Library' but usually is stored in a closet.

permissions:

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 1:37 PM in response to skottez

skottez,

Permissions look normal to me.

Can't see anything in your setup that explains what is happening.

Go to System Preferences...>iCloud> and remove "Calendars & Reminders" from the list. Will that allow you to open iCal after you log in/out or restart?

If you have another user account, try using iCal in that account.

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 2:32 PM in response to skottez

skottez,

I am using Mountain Lion, that is why I have "Calendars & Reminders." Couldn't remember what was on the Lion list. In that case just check "Calendars," and see what happens.

Even though you switched from MobileMe to iCloud, your calendars are not syncing iCal with iCloud, until that box is checked.

iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Calendar may help you find out what is happening.

If desired, you can create another user account for troubleshooting this problem.

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 3:10 PM in response to Ferd II

i'm not yet trying to sync Calendars to iCloud until i can launch iCal without this crazy looping - i can't access anything of the application at all; anything along the top while the app is running isn't accessible (preferences, etc.) so i can't tweak anything . . . not sure how to say this.

i don't want to sync until this part is fixed and i can just open the app. i just don't think this has anything to do with iCloud.

do you think the weird location of the Library has to do with this? can i reload that Library back to my MacHD from my backup?

Feb 2, 2013 4:04 PM in response to skottez

skottez,

What kind of backup do you have? Time Machine?

The "wierd location" of the home Library folder is a concern of mine. Disconnect your external drive. Does the Library folder still show up using the "Go to Folder" window.

Before you consider any further action, I would recommend that you:

1. Complete a Safe Boot.

2. Reinstall the OS X Lion 10.7.5 Supplemental Update .

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 4:41 PM in response to Ferd II

User uploaded file

i've completed those tasks you recommended, but iCal is the same. this is still what happens when i try to open it. you can see the "Meetup invitation" has now been added several times, every time after i quit and reopen again and try to progress. each time, after about the 4th or 5th invitation has been added they no longer add in but the "adding an event" prompt pops up again and again ad infinitum. at no point can i access the menu bar even to quit the app. i have to force quit.

iCal buggy looping on iMac Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.