Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Summarizing data in a chart

Hi,

I'm new to numbers. I've got some experience with Excel, but I've never been a spreadsheet expert.

I'm trying to summarize data into a chart. I'd like to do this without manually creating a summary table first; I'd prefer to do it without creating a dynamic summary table either, but I can't find a way to do this. I've read some documentation and watched several tutorials and all of the data is fairly simple. For example, one YouTube video has a data set like this:

Apples 23

Oranges 32

Bananas 100

Mangos 10

When a pie chart is created, there are four wedges, and the four wedges have shapes/sizes that correspond to the quantities. That all makes sense.

My problem is that I have multiple rows for each of the four types of fruit (it's actually asset classes for investments, but the idea is the same). For example:

Apples 23

Oranges 32

Apples 10

Bananas 100

Oranges 5

Oranges 1

Apples 15

Oranges 20

Bananas 2

Mangos 10

Mangos 1

Mangos 1

Isn't there a way to create a chart with four wedges, summarizing the numeric data, without having to create a separate table that does the summary first?

If I have to create a summary table first, is there a good tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

Rich

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 1:56 PM

you must create a summary table. But that i not hard:

User uploaded file

You data is in a table (on the left) shrewdly title "Data" and is summarized in a table (on the right) in a table called "Summary". For the table "Summary":

1) make the first row and first column a header

2) B2=SUMIF(Data :: A, "="&A2, Data :: B)

3) select B2 and fill down as needed (select B2 and click, and hold, on the little circle at the bottom right of the selected cell, then drag down)

4) enter then names of the categories in the column A

5) now select the cells in the column B which contain the summary counts then select the pie chart from the charts menu like :

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2013 1:56 PM in response to richvoice

you must create a summary table. But that i not hard:

User uploaded file

You data is in a table (on the left) shrewdly title "Data" and is summarized in a table (on the right) in a table called "Summary". For the table "Summary":

1) make the first row and first column a header

2) B2=SUMIF(Data :: A, "="&A2, Data :: B)

3) select B2 and fill down as needed (select B2 and click, and hold, on the little circle at the bottom right of the selected cell, then drag down)

4) enter then names of the categories in the column A

5) now select the cells in the column B which contain the summary counts then select the pie chart from the charts menu like :

User uploaded file

Jan 29, 2013 3:51 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Fantastic, thanks very much, Wayne!

I tried using the technique I found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2654951. But I ran up against the limit of five footer rows. After I used your technique, I ended up re-slicing my data so that I don't actually need more than five rows, but I think this approach is much better for my purposes, as I may need the flexibility later.

Thanks again,

Rich

Summarizing data in a chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.