Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i dropped my iphone4s in the bath, will it work again, i dropped my iphone4s in the bath, will it work again

I dropped my iphone 4s in the bath, was only in the water a few seconds, i have taken back off and put it in an airtight container to dry out, i have a pink spot in the headphone jack, will it work again

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:00 PM

10 replies

Jan 29, 2013 2:06 PM in response to haggisboy77

Putting the iPhone in a airtight container will do nothing unless you have some sort of moisture-absorbing material in the container with the iPhone. Otherwise all you're doing is keeping it from drying out at all. You can try drying it out internally by wrapping the unit in a paper towel and putting it in a bag of dry, uncooked rice (or a bag of silica gel pellets, if you have access to those) for a few days (and yes, I mean days).

It's very probable that it's been permanently damaged, but it's possible that if you dry it out, it may then work. If after a few days in the bag it still has problems, then you'll need to pay to get it exchanged (by Apple) or repaired (by a third-party repair service) or buy a new iPhone.

Good luck.

Jan 29, 2013 2:48 PM in response to haggisboy77

You can also try putting it under a warm (not hot!!) lamp. Keep a careful eye to insure that the phone never gets more than warm to the touch. Putting it about a foot and a half from an incandescent lamp is a good starting point.

As Varjak said, the drying process can take several *days*.

I have successfully recovered computers, iPods and phones in this way. Unfortunately, in one case i "recovered" an iPhone (in that it worked fine again), but simultaneously also damaged the screen (permanent black spot) by putting it too close to the lamp, so be careful.

The telltale in the jack doesn't tell you whether it's been damaged. It just tell you it's been in water (which you already knew). Its primary purpose is to tell Apple the warrantee has been voided.

i dropped my iphone4s in the bath, will it work again, i dropped my iphone4s in the bath, will it work again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.