Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup performance

Time Machine backups on my iMac are taking forever. All apps are current. Time Capsule is a new 2TB model. Alternate ethernet drive is in same room. Both connect to the iMac via a gigabit ethernet switch. Backups of my MacBook Pro seem to be much faster.

I have two backup drives defined to the iMac's Time Machine: the 2TB time capsule & 1TB Western Digital MyBookWorld. All 3 on same ethernet switch.

I have two backup drives defined to the MacBook Pro's Time Machine: the same 2TB time capsule & an older 1TB time capsule. This works very well. The older TM is in another building over gigabit ethernet. The MacBook Pro backs up via WiFi to older TM.

Strangely, when I watch the ethernet switch the ports for the 2TB TC and the WD drive are very active, as if playing ping pong! The gigE and iMac ports are quite inactive.

Your help is appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, Every Mac since the 128K 1984 Macintosh

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 5:24 PM

Are you also using wireless airport on the imac.. that will probably take precedence over the ethernet.. and slow it down.. Turn it off.

If the above doesn't apply.. try plugging imac directly into the TC even if just as a test and see if it then works at the speed you would expect..

Do a verify of the source and backup.

A5 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Load the widget A1 to get actual log messages from TM.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2013 5:24 PM in response to hmatthes

Are you also using wireless airport on the imac.. that will probably take precedence over the ethernet.. and slow it down.. Turn it off.

If the above doesn't apply.. try plugging imac directly into the TC even if just as a test and see if it then works at the speed you would expect..

Do a verify of the source and backup.

A5 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Load the widget A1 to get actual log messages from TM.

Jan 30, 2013 4:53 PM in response to LaPastenague

Conecting the iMac to the LAN via a port on the Time Capsule helped dramatically.

This iMac does not use WiFi so that was not a conflict.

The second backup drive is now also connected to a TC port and working.

I'll still do a bit more testing since the TC port on my ethernet switch flickers almost uncontrolably... even when nothing is going on... very strange behaviour!

time machine backup performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.