Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

raw photos lost?

Already had some photos imported from my camera (Canon T4i) in iphoto, I seem to have lost (?) 110 photos from yesterday.

The folder they were in is not showing them anymore. Photo stream doesn't help bring them back, in fact dropping them into a new album within iphoto only corrupts them to the point that they are completely black or heavily tinted green! Control-click and going to 'show in library' doesn't get me anywhere, just gets me to the Event where the photos were.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 didn't help.

Picasa didn't help.

Canon's Digital Photo Professional software seems to be the only place they appear uncorrupted.

- I just need to figure out how to get them back on my ipad.

All other JPG images and other RAW images seem to be ok.

Anyone come across this before? How did it get resolved?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:42 PM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Woodlandtripper

Ok you go around the horn several times - can you describe what you were doing

I seem to have lost (?) 110 photos from yesterday.

The folder they were in is not showing them anymore.

What exactly are you saying here - in iPhoto folders do not contain photos, they contain albums or other folders - are you speaking of events?

Photo stream doesn't help bring them back,

What does that mean? PS is a tool to move photos between Macs and IOS devices - it has no meaning on a single machine

You say the photos are missing then you say

in fact dropping them into a new album within iphoto only corrupts them to the point that they are completely black or heavily tinted green!

If they are missing how are you "dropping them" anywhere?

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 didn't help.

What did you do using PSE? Is it set as the extrenal editor?

Picasa didn't help.

And what did you do using Picasa? Have you been using both iPhoto and Picasa on teh same photos in the iPhoto library? Is so that may be the problem - iPhoto and Picasa do not play well together and yoou should never access your iPhoto library or make any changes to it from other programs including PSE and Picasa - you need to use either iPhoto or Picasa - not both

Canon's Digital Photo Professional software seems to be the only place they appear uncorrupted.

Where are the images you are lookng at using Canon DPP?

- I just need to figure out how to get them back on my ipad.

Again this is confusing - moving from iPhoto to your iPad is done using PhotoStream or iTunes

So I am not at all clear on what you are seeing or what you are trying to accomplish - or if the photos are in your iPhoto library or not - or what you have been doing to the contents of you iPhoto library using outsideporgrams

LN

Jan 29, 2013 10:08 PM in response to LarryHN

It's never a quick fix is it?...

Having previously backed up my Mac to an external hard drive as I usually do, I went to bed. The next day while attempting to send a friend an email with an attached photo, noticed these photos missing. I went into iphoto and saw that they were indeed missing. poof!

yes, the event (not the folder) no longer contains the previously photos even though the event notes the dates of items within and the clearly stated items showed up with yesterdays date.

I created an album (empty at the time) where I could perhaps drop the photos from photostream. As you recall they were still there. I selected some and dragged them over from photostream to the new album. They then appeared corrupted at that time in the new album.

I attempted to utilize Adobe PE10 and Picasa as a means to 'awaken' the photos from the dead. I had read in a post here (in Apple land) that this sometimes works. It did not. I was not using them previously for organizing my photos. as far as I knew.

I have since deleted Picasa. It's wonderful to note that with Picasa, I now have duplicates of almost every photo on my hard drive. (sarcasm intended)

The images utilizing Canon DPP on my computer are in pictures/Adobe/Organizer/iphoto Library Media/ Masters/ 2012 (year)/ 12 (month) - last two as examples

This would obviously lead one to see that Adobe PE10 has taken them. It seems likely that Adobe moved my photos and now iphoto can't find all of them. [ did I just answer my own question?]

Please ignore the whole ipad thing as it is only a means of viewing the pictures, nothing else. I realize I need to sync my ipad through itunes to get photos from iphoto.

again, thanks for your time LN.

Jan 29, 2013 10:18 PM in response to Woodlandtripper

The images utilizing Canon DPP on my computer are in pictures/Adobe/Organizer/iphoto Library Media/ Masters/ 2012 (year)/ 12 (month) - last two as examples

This would obviously lead one to see that Adobe PE10 has taken them. It seems likely that Adobe moved my photos and now iphoto can't find all of them. [ did I just answer my own question?]

This may be it - I do not (and have never) used Canon - I use Sony, TD Nikon - Old Toad uses Canon so maybe he has some idea

right click on your iPhoto library and show package contents - look (do not make any changes) in the masters folder and see if your RAW photos are there

LN

Jan 30, 2013 11:08 AM in response to Woodlandtripper

Try rebuilding your library - Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library

I have no idea what Canon DPP does or why you use it - but what ever you are doing do not use it to make any changes of any sort to the content or structure of the iPhoto library

Aperture is a professional level photo management program - like a super iPhoto - and the current version of Aperture can share a library with iPhoto '11 version 9.3 and newer so you can use both on the same library depending on your needs and desires

LN

raw photos lost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.