Skip navigation

Why should I need both QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 to play video files ?

256 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 7:20 PM by Jon Walker RSS
RandyInBC Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 29, 2013 6:42 PM

Why should I need both QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 on a Mac Mini 10.8.2 to play video files I created on a Mac.  Was QuickTime X designed to a lower standard ?   If the answert is to get VLC playe,r why not just delete Qicktime all together and be done with it.

Randy

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3rd Gen Nano iPhone 4 32G
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (17,520 points)

Why should I need both QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 on a Mac Mini 10.8.2 to play video files I created on a Mac.  Was QuickTime X designed to a lower standard ?   If the answert is to get VLC playe,r why not just delete Qicktime all together and be done with it.

Answer depends on your viewing requirements. No media player plays everything. If one particular player handles your particular mix of file types and compression formats, then you don't "need" the others.  If not, then you may need more than one player.

SJAUG.png

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 3.4 GHz Quad Core i7, 12GB 1333 MHz

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.