Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buzzing / humming in speaker intermittently when making calls.

Purchased new iPhone 5 yesterday and noticed intermittent humming sound in speaker when making calls. Has anyone else seen this problem and if so are you using a case? Has anyone experienced this problem without a case? I have gone thru complete evolution of iPhones 3G, 3GS, 4 and now 5 and have never had this problem with any of my other iPhones. I'm using my iPhone 5 in same location as all my previous phones which none of them had any phone humming or buzzing sound during calls.

iPhone 5

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:03 PM

2 replies

Oct 27, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Jimnix2

we just received a replacement i5 for my husband. don't know if this is the same thing we're talking about. when he makes an outgoing call, the phone has a strange "vibrating" sound. no incoming anything...no calls, texts, mail, nothing. we reset everything. then we went to the local Verizon store and they heard it and tried looking it up too but can't find anything either to match this problem. the closes apple store is 35 miles away and this doesn't happen every time. I hate to make an appointment, drive there and not have it happen. I've seen people talking about the cases causing a problem but this is more like when you have it set to vibrate except the sound is in you're ear.

Jul 22, 2015 3:40 PM in response to WestchesterWoodworking

Yes, my apple 5S is doing the same thing. I have a case on it, and thought that this was the origination of the vibration, but when I pinch the case firmly to the phone, it still vibrates annoyingly when I am making outbound calls. Like you, I thought that I was receiving a text or another phone call or something while I was dialing out but after checking for missed calls and text, determined that this was not the case and it happens every time. I have a symbol on the top of my phone which is a symbol of a phone with two rows of little balls under it, and I'm not sure if that is something that indicates this feature. I have looked all over for a setting that would allow me to turn this off.

Help!

Buzzing / humming in speaker intermittently when making calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.