Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move USB Time Machine drive 2 Shared Network PC ???

I have a WD 1.5 TB USB drive that I have attached to my desktop that is used as a media server. I use the drive for my Time Machine Backups. It is formatted in two partitons and works fine with Time Machine. I am sharing the entire drive on the network and I can see it on my macbook. I want to leave the drive connected and backup using time machine without having to physically connect it to the macbook when I want to do backups. I just want the current time machine to show up as an unchanged option so I have the ability to backup whenever. I read some ways to do it but seems like the drive is still not showing up as an option. Any thoughts on how to make this happen?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:26 PM

4 replies

Jan 30, 2013 12:44 AM in response to djmichaelwenz

If I remember correctly a TM backup drive has to be formatted Mac Extended (Journaled) and since it has to be that format it can not be seen or read on a Windows PC. So you will never get that drive to show as a TM backup spot when it is connected to a Windows PC. The only way to have a drive on a network that will show as a TM backup drive is to have it attached directly to the network, A NAS (Network Attached Storage) and then it is reported that most all of those don't work correctly except if it is a Apple branded NAS system like a Apple Time Capsule.

In any event doing TM backups to a NAS system is slow and the big problem comes when, Not If, you need to use it to Restore your system.

Your best bet it to have a dedicated external drive for TM backups only, no other use, and connect it directly to your Mac to do the backups.

Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Jan 30, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Shootist007

I do not beleive I installed anything special on that build. It is a windows 7 PC and it does have ACHI enabled cause I also have a HDD inside the WIN7 desktop that has lion on it. It is a hackintosh. I have always been able to see the OSX partition.

I dont see why having Time Machine backing up over the network would be much different then plugging it directly in. I just need the drive to show up in the Time Machine Choice...

I am going to try again. I dont suppose you saw this...

http://lifehacker.com/5691649/an-easier-way-to-set-up-time-machine-to-back-up-to -a-networked-windows-computer

Move USB Time Machine drive 2 Shared Network PC ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.