Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up subfolders in a mac mailbox (mail 4.6)

Hello Forum,

I have set up a work account in mail 4.6. It's already starting to get out of hand. How do I set up sub folders to this account? It's a POP account.

I also have a Gmail account and to set up subfolders there I access Gmail online and they just come through to mailbox.

Thanks 😕

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 1:00 AM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

I can do this on my Mac, or on my Yahoo account which are IMAP accounts. I don't know if you can do it on G Mail as I don't use it. Give it a try, all that should happen is te folder just pops back to where it was. On both Mac and ISP my mailboxes are shown as folders, although they are mailboxes, if you go into the library they are ALL refered to as mailboxes, and behave as mailboxes, in that all the messages are still .elmx.

Jan 31, 2013 2:10 PM in response to sanjampet

That's the difference between POP and IMAP. IMAP has a hierarchy of mailboxes on the server that is synchronized among all the computers that access the account. POP doesn't have mailboxes. New messages arrive; clients download the messages. POP is not intended to store messages long term. Messages are not sorted into mailboxes on the server at all.

Feb 1, 2013 12:12 PM in response to da ferret

You can influence when messages are deleted from the server in Preferences > Accounts > Advanced. If you are reading the mail on more than one device, typically you would set this on all devices to something like "delete one week after retrieving the message" so that each device has a chance to get the message before it is deleted. POP servers are not intended for long-term storage, and there might be space or time limitations imposed by the service provider.

How do I set up subfolders in a mac mailbox (mail 4.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.