- The latest version of iOS for iPad 2 is ios 6.1
- Ensure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer using the included USB cable.
- After iTunes opens, select your device when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
- Click "Check for Update" in the Summary pane to check for available updates.
- If an update is available, iTunes prompts you to download and install the update. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.
Tips for updating your iOS device
- Ensure that your device is backed up to iCloud or back up with iTunes before updating. Find more information about backing up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- If you experience an alert when updating your device with iTunes, see this article about resolving update and restore alert messages.
- When updating from iOS 4.3.x or earlier, see iOS 4: Updating your device to iOS 5 or later.
Unable to update, not enough available storage
When updating wirelessly, your iOS device needs enough available space to download and install the update. If "Download and Install" is grayed out or you see the message "This update requires at least x.x GB of available storage", use one of the following options to update:
- Use iTunes to download and install the update instead
- Remove content you no longer need from your device, including:
- Movies or TV shows from the Videos app. On iPhone and iPod touch, use the "swipe to delete" gesture. On iPad, either tap Edit or tap and hold on a video, and then tap "x" to delete.
- Apps you no longer use. Tap and hold until they jiggle, and then tap the "x" to delete.
- Photos or videos you've taken with the camera. To save your content, you can transfer photos and videos from your device to a computer.