Skip navigation

Difficulty Cropping - crop window has mind of it's own

657 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 12:10 AM by Mark Uhrich RSS
Mark Uhrich Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 30, 2013 3:21 AM

When I crop photos (Edit - Crop), the crop window has a mind of it's own.  I select crop, click and drag a corner or edge, and then another, and the window moves and resizes to something else.  It takes a number of tries moving the window or edges back and forth until I can get the crop that I want.  Note: I do not have the restrict aspect selected.  It's very anoying.  What to do?  (iPhoto '11 v9.4.2 on OSX 10.7.5)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,900 points)

Try trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder.

(On 10.7 or later: Hold the option (or alt) key while clicking on the Go menu in Finder to access the User Library)

(Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

What's the plist file?

For new users: Every application on your Mac has an accompanying plist file. It records certain User choices. For instance, in your favourite Word Processor it remembers your choice of Default Font, on your Web Browser is remembers things like your choice of Home Page. It even recalls what windows you had open last if your app allows you to pick up from where you left off last. The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on. Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother. Trashing the plist file is Mac troubleshooting 101.

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,900 points)

I don't believe that anything in my suggestion would "reset libraries".

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (55,075 points)

You have to select each library each time you change to it - that will not change - all that will cahne is that all of your preference settings will be reset to the defaults and if youhave changed any form the t=default you need to reset them - and the first time you lanch iPhoto it will look for the default library (in your pictures folder) - so if that is not the firat one you want to use you need to depress and hold the option key and launch iPhoto selecting the library you want to use

(Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on. Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother.

LN

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (55,075 points)

BTW - this is not a playlist - it is  a plist

As to your original question I;m wondering if it is user and you are grabbing the wrong place or dragging too far or something - there have rew if any similer reports here and since the plist did not change anything it may be something you are doing

Watch the crop tutroial and see if it helps  --  http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/

LN

• oldroy55 Calculating status...

I too am having the same problem as Mark - and I am quite sure it is not in my case related to how I am using the crop window. If I move or resize the crop window as soon as I set the new position it's as if iPhoto is using an algorithm to optimise the new crop window and arbitrarily changes its position and/or size.

I have also deleted my iPhoto plist file but that didn't help either.

I am using iPhoto 8.1.2 on Mountain Lion and I do not think that this problem always existed. I believe it crept in with one of the OS upgrades.

This is a very frustrating problem.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.