Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty Cropping - crop window has mind of it's own

When I crop photos (Edit - Crop), the crop window has a mind of it's own. I select crop, click and drag a corner or edge, and then another, and the window moves and resizes to something else. It takes a number of tries moving the window or edges back and forth until I can get the crop that I want. Note: I do not have the restrict aspect selected. It's very anoying. What to do? (iPhoto '11 v9.4.2 on OSX 10.7.5)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:34 AM

Try trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder.

(On 10.7 or later: Hold the option (or alt) key while clicking on the Go menu in Finder to access the User Library)

(Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

What's the plist file?

For new users: Every application on your Mac has an accompanying plist file. It records certain User choices. For instance, in your favourite Word Processor it remembers your choice of Default Font, on your Web Browser is remembers things like your choice of Home Page. It even recalls what windows you had open last if your app allows you to pick up from where you left off last. The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on. Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother. Trashing the plist file is Mac troubleshooting 101.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2013 4:34 AM in response to Mark Uhrich

Try trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder.

(On 10.7 or later: Hold the option (or alt) key while clicking on the Go menu in Finder to access the User Library)

(Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

What's the plist file?

For new users: Every application on your Mac has an accompanying plist file. It records certain User choices. For instance, in your favourite Word Processor it remembers your choice of Default Font, on your Web Browser is remembers things like your choice of Home Page. It even recalls what windows you had open last if your app allows you to pick up from where you left off last. The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on. Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother. Trashing the plist file is Mac troubleshooting 101.

Jan 30, 2013 9:12 AM in response to Mark Uhrich

You have to select each library each time you change to it - that will not change - all that will cahne is that all of your preference settings will be reset to the defaults and if youhave changed any form the t=default you need to reset them - and the first time you lanch iPhoto it will look for the default library (in your pictures folder) - so if that is not the firat one you want to use you need to depress and hold the option key and launch iPhoto selecting the library you want to use

The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on. Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother.

LN

Jan 31, 2013 8:06 AM in response to Mark Uhrich

BTW - this is not a playlist - it is a plist

As to your original question I;m wondering if it is user and you are grabbing the wrong place or dragging too far or something - there have rew if any similer reports here and since the plist did not change anything it may be something you are doing

Watch the crop tutroial and see if it helps -- http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/

LN

Feb 9, 2013 5:42 AM in response to LarryHN

I too am having the same problem as Mark - and I am quite sure it is not in my case related to how I am using the crop window. If I move or resize the crop window as soon as I set the new position it's as if iPhoto is using an algorithm to optimise the new crop window and arbitrarily changes its position and/or size.

I have also deleted my iPhoto plist file but that didn't help either.

I am using iPhoto 8.1.2 on Mountain Lion and I do not think that this problem always existed. I believe it crept in with one of the OS upgrades.

This is a very frustrating problem.

Feb 21, 2013 9:56 AM in response to oldroy55

Back on this again. The problem is still there.

Yes, it was "plst" that I deleted. That didn't change anything. I thought the problem went away briefly but it came back.

I looked at the tutorial but it is very simplistic and shows an older version of iPhoto.

It is very frustrating. Buggy software that doesn't work as it should. (It is supposed to just simply work.)

Any other suggestions? Will be much appreciated.

Apr 22, 2013 12:10 AM in response to Mark Uhrich

Don't know what happened but the problem has gone away. The system healed itself.

I had tried all the things suggested without any results. The strange behavior was still there.

However, after some weeks, the problem went away by itself. Maybe it was one of the regular updates. Maybe the underlying core system did some maintenance.

It is working normally now.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. We can close this file now.

Difficulty Cropping - crop window has mind of it's own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.