Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn iMessage and Facetime off on Mac?

I have just recently purchased a mac and I was playing around on it and turned iMessage and Facetime on. I didn't realise that it then connects with your phone and whatever messages you receive on each device the other receives them also. I don't like this and would like to turn iMessage and Facetime OFF on my mac. Does anybody know how to do this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 6:21 PM

Hi there! Thanks for posting your question up on this page! As an employee at Apple, I will be glad to help you. First, go ahead and open the iMessage app on your Mac. Once that is open and it looks like the regular iMessage screen, look on the top left hand corner of the Mac. There will be a few buttons, from left to right, this is what they will show: The apple logo, iMessage, and Preferences. Go ahead and click on Preferences, then Account, then click sign out. For FaceTime, it is essentially the same thing, open the FaceTime app, look for the button that says "Preferences" on the top left corner of the computer, and from there you will see a drop down menu. Finally, click on Stop FaceTime to turn off the FaceTime on the Mac. Thanks again for posting your question here and let me know if you need any more help! Have fun with your new Mac!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 6:21 PM in response to Justine1990

Hi there! Thanks for posting your question up on this page! As an employee at Apple, I will be glad to help you. First, go ahead and open the iMessage app on your Mac. Once that is open and it looks like the regular iMessage screen, look on the top left hand corner of the Mac. There will be a few buttons, from left to right, this is what they will show: The apple logo, iMessage, and Preferences. Go ahead and click on Preferences, then Account, then click sign out. For FaceTime, it is essentially the same thing, open the FaceTime app, look for the button that says "Preferences" on the top left corner of the computer, and from there you will see a drop down menu. Finally, click on Stop FaceTime to turn off the FaceTime on the Mac. Thanks again for posting your question here and let me know if you need any more help! Have fun with your new Mac!

Nov 29, 2017 12:35 AM in response to Anonymous6287

Sorry but what you suggest, using iMessage to disable FaceTime, does not work on 10.10.15 (Yosemite), as there is no iMessage.
FaceTime is really annoying, because if I touch a phone number, if call up FaceTime with my video turned on, instead of what I intend of a cut and paste into another app. FaceTime will not let me set preferences, because that involves turning on FaceTime, logging in (I do not want a FaceTime login). How do you get rid of this unwanted and intrusive app?

Jan 30, 2013 6:22 AM in response to Justine1990

Good luck with your new computer!

To turn facetime off, get the Facetime window up on your screen. Then go to Facetime "preferences" -- you should see an on/off toggle. Just click on the off side of the switch. Note: On my mac I can get to Facetime preferences by clicking on "Facetime" in the upper left hand corner of my screen, a drop down menu will appear.

How to turn iMessage and Facetime off on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.