Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated my iPhone 4s this morning to ios 6.1 and it deleted all of my contacts. Help!

This morning, my iPhone 4s alerted me that there was an update available for ios 6.1. I completed the update only to find that ALL of my contacts had been deleted. Why did this happen and are they gone forever? I tried turning the phone off, and back on and also tried plugging it into my computer, hoping that maybe the contacts were all sent to my clous which was enabled through this update.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 12:27 PM

9 replies

Jan 30, 2013 12:31 PM in response to KiltedTim

No, they're all gone. When I check my text messages, and recent calls, it's only displaying the phone numbers and when I check my "contacts" tab, it's completely empty.
I also have my phone through AT&T, so if they didnt go to the cloud, like they should have...they should at least be on my SIM.
I'm very worried about the possibility of having lost EVERY contact.

Jan 31, 2013 6:22 PM in response to vladavb

I have the same problem. Apple needs to sort itself out. How they can release such bug ridden upgrades it astounds me for a business of this size. I now can't sync anything since upgrading, and all my photo's and contacts have been deleted.

I use my iphone 5 for business so now I have a mobile device with no contacts and no answer from Apple to the problem. This is so not cool.

Apple needs to notify their customers of these MAJOR issues with 6.1 or retract the update.

Seriously!!!

Jan 31, 2013 6:27 PM in response to photouser_100

The iphone is designed to be synced to your computer/cloud service regularly.

All of your contacts should be on your computer or cloud service. The iphone simply allows you to take your computers/cloud service contacts with you. The iphone is not a storage/backup device.

If you fail to sync your contacts regularly, I would fully expect for you to lose them at some point.

Feb 1, 2013 5:30 PM in response to roaminggnome

Ummm....NO I shouldn't fully expect to lose my phone contacts when doing a software update recommended by Apple, considering it is supposed to be the leader in tech stuff. I have had these contacts through the past 3 phones I have owned and I have never needed to back phone #s up before. I chose not to use iCloud and back up through the computer. While I saved my pictures to my computer, I did not put any phone #s on my computer and Apple software has never prompted me to do so when I have plugged my phone into my computer.

So, this is my first Apple product, bought this past fall, and with their first recommended software update I AM NOT TOO HAPPY WITH THEIR COMPANY.

Feb 1, 2013 9:47 PM in response to avite621

I just don't understand how all of my photos, and other items that are "stored" are still intact. ALL of my contacts were only deleted...
Im infuriated, and dumbfounded at how this could have happened. I expect much more from apple, which is why I made the switch to an iPhone. I've had these contacts from phone to phone through FOUR phone upgrades. Then I go and switch to apple and lose everything when I update the software. Unbelievable.

I updated my iPhone 4s this morning to ios 6.1 and it deleted all of my contacts. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.