Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I update to Snow Leopard, will final cut pro still work?

If I update to Snow Leopard, will final cut pro still work? My current version of Final Cut Pro is 6.0.6. Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 1:08 PM

4 replies

Jan 30, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Torrey J

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

It will run without any problem on Snow Leopard, but you must make a backup before upgrading, so your files will be safe if the upgrade doesn't finalize properly.

Also, you must be careful if you want to upgrade to OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, because Final Cut Pro 6 won't work as it's a PowerPC application. OS X Lion and Mountain Lion are only compatible with Final Cut Pro 7 and the most recent version and Final Cut Pro X

Nov 26, 2013 8:37 PM in response to mende1

Apple is not telling you the Complete story about Lion.

The installer for FCP 6 is Power PC code/ IBM CPU code, which Lion does not support.

FCP 6 is NOT Power PC code, it will run on Lion and Mountain Lion, as I have read on many posts.

The solution??

Solution condition where FCP 6 installed and upgrading OS to Lion

Do nothing, its already running OK

Solution condition where FCP 6 not installed and OS Lion installed.

Connect a firewire drive to your MAC and install the old OS on it (eg snow leopard) ,

Reboot to that OS

Install FCP 6

Reboot to your new OS (EG Lion)

Run FCP 6

Nov 27, 2013 9:44 AM in response to mhnapple

mhnapple wrote:

...The installer for FCP 6 is Power PC code/ IBM CPU code, which Lion does not support...

And dug up incorrectly too!

It is commonly misinterpreted that the installer for FCP 6 (FCS2) is PPC, but it is not. It has a "bug" that brings up the "PowerPC" dialog box which contributes to this confusion.

Jeremy Johnstone has posted on his blog the actual reasons for this problem and some solutions on how to get around it.

If I update to Snow Leopard, will final cut pro still work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.