Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

having trouble configuring mysql and mysql workbench macbook mountain lion

Just downloaded mysql 5.5.29. Had a previous installation of mysql workbench 5.2.45. Found documentation lacking in detail. Stumbled around for an hour or two trying to configure. Doc mentions there should be a mysql user already installed on the os by Apple. Not so. Anyone have localhost mysql/mysql workbench running successfully on Mountain Lion willing to coach me on configuring? Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Adobe CS5 mysql wkbch 5.2.45

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 12:56 PM

3 replies

Jan 30, 2013 1:50 PM in response to jamesfromforestville

ok, managed to stumble into getting workbench to start and stop the server. Started server manually per these instructions found at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/macosx-installation.html:

If you do not use the Startup Item, enter the following command sequence:

shell> cd /usr/local/mysql

shell> sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe

(Enter your password, if necessary)

(Press Control-Z)

shell> bg

(Press Control-D or enter "exit" to exit the shell)

You should be able to connect to the MySQL server, for example, by running /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql.

Then in Mysql Workbench, I went to Manage Server Instances, System Profile, [had to reselect Mac OS X as it had changed to Windows], Sudo command, clicked on the text "EnterPasswordHere", and it collected my sudo password. From that point forward I was able to start and stop the server and connect to "test" database with the SQL Editor. Time to shut down, back up, take a walk 🙂

having trouble configuring mysql and mysql workbench macbook mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.