Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPv6 over LTE... here again, gone again

When I got my iPhone 5, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it supported IPv6 over LTE. About 5 days after I got it, they released Carrier 13.1 (to replace Carrier 13.0), and IPv6 support disappeared.

When iOS 6.1 came out, I once again was pleasantly surprised to see IPv6 support had returned. Not only that, but it worked perfectly with tethered devices as well - they each got a proper, native IPv6 address and could use it.

Today, Carrier 14.1 has been pushed out, and once again, IPv6 support has been disabled.

Come on, Apple, stop teasing us. It's just mean.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 1:59 PM

8 replies

Jan 30, 2013 2:33 PM in response to razmee209

Settings > General > About. Look down for "Carrier". For Verizon phones (at least, perhaps others), iOS 6.0 came with "Version 14.0." Today a message appeared on my phone indicating that carrier settings had been updated, and now it's "Version 14.1." Concurrent with this, IPv6 support disappeared. The pattern is an exact repeat from what happened during the first few days of iOS 6.0 (except then it was carrier 13.0 and 13.1).

Jan 30, 2013 2:51 PM in response to KiltedTim

Cause in the Real World, IPv4 reserve address pools ran out in Feb 2011. We've been growing by consuming the last few blocks of addresses ISPs large and small had kitted away for rainy days. All new large organizations will only be getting IPv6 addresses. So in the short term, the only way to reach them will be by having an IPv6 address yourself. The world should have switched over decades ago (IPv6 Standard was finalized in the mid-90's).

Yet we keep dawdling.

IPv6 over LTE... here again, gone again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.