Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 and iPad - Lightning to USB Cable stuck (USB side)

Devices = iMac 20-inch, Mid 2007 / iPhone 5 / iPad with Retina display.

Problem = USB side of lightning cable stuck in iMac (both lightning cables i received with iPhone and iPad).

Solution = cut a small piece of plastic from old membership card or from a piece of stiff plastic. Gently slide it into USB port - carefully wiggle / slide stuck cable out.

I read this suggestion from another member who posted on Apple Communities (can't figure out how to find his/her post).

So this evening, I went into the Apple store with my two Lightning to USB cables in hand. I described the situation and they said to me, "we've never heard anyone else with this problem....let me get a computer to see if we can recreate the problem." They used a brand new iMac and the cable came out - no problem.

Apple has clearly changed the USB port part of their computers - I was told to bring in my computer - I responded with " I'll just bring in my keyboard to show you" I'm also going to bring in my mouse (which I bought about a year ago and have experienced NO problems) to prove this problem.

What can we do? - someone, somewhere knows somebody who has the ability to publicize this issue. Maybe one of those talk-show hosts who use apple products. Or someone in the press who can publish it on tv - like a consumer complaints episode. I'll be sending this post to Consumer Reports in hopes we'll get Apple to act.

Good luck to all -

m

Apple store

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:16 PM

1 reply

Jan 31, 2013 5:47 PM in response to MMM73

So today I came across someone who bought an iPhone 5 recently and had their lightning to USB cable on them. I asked to see it and it has an indentation on the USB part - similar to the profile picture I've used. This person has had NO problems with their lightning Cale getting stuck ( iMac or PC). Of course I took a picture of it, but don't know how to load a picture to post here.

Can someone describe how I can post a photo here?

I'd like to show the difference between my MALFUNCTIONING lightning cable and another one that works CORRECTLY.

Thanks~

iPhone 5 and iPad - Lightning to USB Cable stuck (USB side)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.