Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain password

I reset (changed) my daughter's user password while logged in as admin. Also made some changes in parental controls for her. When I went back in as her and launched Safari I was asked for my keychain password. Assuming it is the same as the admin login password I entered it. It was not accepted ... several times. I was able to sort of okay around it but I don't know exactly what didn't happen by not entering it, nor do I understand why it wasn't accepted. Did I assume correctly that the keychain and admin login passwords are one and the same?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 5:46 PM

When you change a login Password, it does not change the keychain password for security reasons. You must go into Keychain Access and change the password there, also. I believe it used to inform you of that.

If you've forgotten the Keychain Password, then you must create a new keychain and set it as the login keychain.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2013 5:46 PM in response to Forcefour

When you change a login Password, it does not change the keychain password for security reasons. You must go into Keychain Access and change the password there, also. I believe it used to inform you of that.

If you've forgotten the Keychain Password, then you must create a new keychain and set it as the login keychain.

Jan 30, 2013 7:08 PM in response to Barney-15E

The login password I changed was for my daughter, a restricted account. I did so with my admin login. I did not change the admin login password and so nothing should have changed. When I went back and logged in as my daughter and then launched Safara (after also making some parental control changes) I was asked for my keychain password ... for whatever reason. I used my admin password (which has never been changed) and it was not accepted. Herein lies the issue.

Jan 30, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Forcefour

Forcefour wrote:

The login password I changed was for my daughter, a restricted account.

I understand that. When you change a password for another account, it does not change that account's keychain password. You have to log into the account and change the password for the login keychain in Keychain Access.

I was asked for my keychain password ... for whatever reason.

There would have been no reason to ask for your password, so I don't imagine it was, despite what it looked like. There is a reason it would ask for her password; ie to unlock her keychain because it is no longer the same as the login password. If it really asked for your keychain password, I can't explain that as it should have no knowledge of your user name. If it was asking for any admin password, it would have left the username blank for you to fill in.

Jan 30, 2013 7:24 PM in response to Imp68

Imp68 wrote:

The password should be the one you changed in your daughter's account. Have you tried that?

Changing the account password from the preference pane should change the keychain one at the same time.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1631

It does not change the keychain password for security. If it did change, then anybody could change your login password (which is trivial to do) and have access to your secure passwords and login information.

Feb 2, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Forcefour

Yes, that is what I was trying to explain.

By default, the keychain has the same password as the login. You can change the keychain password independent of the login. If you change the login password not from within the particular user's login, the keychain will not be changed.

If you change the password as you did, you must change the keychain password to the same if you want it to auto-unlock the keychain on login. If you don't, whenever you attempt to use the keychain, it will ask for the password to unlock.

Feb 4, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Barney-15E

I went back to do this and it did not recognize the old password as being the old one. I tried several times and then I tried the new one and it accepted it. It seems that when I entered the old one previously in response to the question that maybe it made the change at that time. Is that possible? I haven't been asked for it since doing that.

Keychain password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.