Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC Applications on Intel Based Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8

Hello,

I am trying to run several PowerPC Applications (Final Cut Pro 5, etc.) on my 2011 Intel Based Macbook Pro, running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Yes, I know PowerPC applications have not been supported since the emulator in 10.6. No, I am not willing to downgrade to OS X 10.6. And, currently, I cannot find any third party software that will run with OS X 10.8 to make it work.

What I am hoping to do - assuming it will work of course - is run OS 10.5 as a virtual machine via Virtual Box on my MacBook Pro. Once the VM is installed and running, I would think the applications would install and run, no? In order to do this, I need to create a BOOTable ISO copy of OS X 10.5. Currently, I have another computer running this OS. How do I create a bootable copy of that machine's OS as an ISO file on a USB flash drive?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:01 PM

5 replies

Jan 30, 2013 4:06 PM in response to JoeVB2

No way, Jose.

Rosetta died with the snowy cat. The Lions don't do PPC. You can coerce the snowy cat to run on Parallels with a few sneaky tricks. And that's about it. IF yours is an Early 2011 model, you could split the HDD and put SL on the smaller of the two. Late 2011 models cannot boot off the install DVD but can run SL if you already have an installed instance. 2012 models will have nothing to do with the now-frozen feline.

Jan 31, 2013 1:06 PM in response to JoeVB2

JoeVB2 wrote:

What I am hoping to do - assuming it will work of course - is run OS 10.5 as a virtual machine via Virtual Box on my MacBook Pro.

Why virtualize Leopard and not Snow Leopard?

I guess I did it once in Parallels:

User uploaded file

[click on images to enlarge]

But to be honest, I have forgotten how! 😕

Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) installed into Parallels is another matter altogether!

User uploaded file

PowerPC Applications on Intel Based Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.