Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac would not detect any external powered 3.5 " hard drives

Hi,

I noticed that my iMac osx 10.6.8 is not detecting any of my 3.5" external hard drives. The finder would not detect it and i tried using disk utility to check if the mac does. To my dismay, it did not.

I have 2 , 2 T Buffallo 3.5" external hard drives, they worked fine and one day they were not recognised. Initially i thought my buffalo drives crashed, but thank goodness it worked fine on my media player box.

Next I a 1 T Seagate Free Agent desktop which is also a 3.5" (acts as my time machine) and worked fine. Today I wanted to perform a back up after a few weeks, Mac again did not recognise the hard drive. I tried plugging and unplugging the usb, each powering up and down the drive between 1 min intervals. Did this twice, still no recognition.

I thought my usb port to my mac is off, but i could plug my iphone 5 usb and the port is working. I had also plugged in a 2.5" external Buffalo mini station 1 T hard drive, mac recognised it and i was able to transfer huge files.

Am a lil lost, so apprciate some help if anyone knows what to do please.

thanks!

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 5:14 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2013 6:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for replying. I don't think it's the power supply issue as the drives power up for a while and powers down because the mac doesn't recognise it. I tried using another power adapter same issue.

If the power supply unit u are talking about is in the hard drive itself. Again no issue as my media player unit (AC Ryan) can detect my drives and play the video files in it.

I have been trying to search for tools to diagnose if my USB ports in my mac are stuffed. I am not a techie so am lost.

I have also done a disc verification using disk utility and the result was all good.

Appreciate if you got any more ideas abt this issue.

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2013 3:55 PM in response to unimatrix7

reset FW bus, same goes for USB reset...

Reset the Firewire bus

If your Firewire or USB isn't recognizing any device. A solution which has worked for some whose hard drive became invisible in 10.4 was simply to follow these four steps to reset the Firewire/USB bus:

1. Shut the machine down.

2. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any firewire/USB drive.

3. leave it for 10 minutes.

4. Connect back up and reboot.

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

Feb 4, 2013 4:38 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks so much for your advice. *2 thumbs up* The mac finally recognised my 1 TB Seagate and is now backing up through time machine.

However it was not recognising my 2 TB Buffalo, when i plugged it in, it kept beeping intermittently. I thought it was disc failure at first (was very upset) but it played fine on my AC Ryan.

Anymore advice you can give? 🙂

cheers!

iMac would not detect any external powered 3.5 " hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.