Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook threatens to corrupt Contacts, Calendar with no recourse?

I went to set up Facebook in my phone's settings for the first time. After entering my credentials, I was presented with a warning saying that logging into Facebook would pollute Contacts with all of my Facebook friends and would pollute my calendar with Facebook events. That warning also claimed that I could turn these "features" off in Settings. But you can't; there are no such settings. Check it out:

User uploaded file

Is this just defective UI design, or is this thing really going to corrupt my contacts and calendar as soon as I log in? I mean it's clearly defective UI; I'm just wondering what exactly is going to happen and when.

Thanks for any insight.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 5:29 PM

10 replies

Jan 31, 2013 1:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Look at some of the other reports.

The fact is, this feature doesn't even make sense, and polluting one's contact list without any option to prevent it is inexcusable. How is it going to reconcile the fact that many of your Facebook friends are already in your contacts, but with differing details? Apparently it also blows away photos in your contacts with ones from Facebook. How will it back out all of these changes if you deactivate the feature?

If I want someone's personal info in my Contacts, it's already there. The broken UI is insufferable, but the assumptions made by this feature are asinine in the first place.

Jan 31, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Stokestack

Stokestack wrote:

Thanks. Unfortunately, that talks about cleaning up the mess AFTER it has happened. I'm not going to risk that.

Here's a more complete view of the screens, proving that there are no settings:

User uploaded file

This design is unbelievable.

The settings for Calendar and Contact sync will not appear until you actually sign in. The 2nd screen in the sequence you posted above will CHANGE once you are logged in.

Facebook threatens to corrupt Contacts, Calendar with no recourse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.