Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newby, how do I receive an answer to a question or do I have to watch and wait?

I do not know how I know someone has answered me?

I have another question and it is the reason I joined support communities.

I received a new iPad 3 last year sometime and I love it and also my zagg keyboard. I do though need to know the details of how I go about giving this iPad 1 to my grandson via his dad of course. How do I change it to his apple ID? Just to make it more interesting my daughter had it for awhile and sometimes it asks for her appleID.

Thanks for any advice.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 6:29 PM

If you want to give the iPad to your grandson, you can restore it to new on your iTunes. This will leave the iPad as if no one has used it before, so he can put his own information and his own apple id.

13 replies

Jan 30, 2013 6:29 PM in response to karkey

Settings/itunes and app stores/tap on apple id and sign out and then in with different apple id.

This will create problems down the road with content on the device being associated with more than on user account.

The best way would be to set up as a new device.

iTunes: Backing up and Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414?viewlocale=en_US

Jan 30, 2013 7:03 PM in response to GrumpyGator

unfortunately there are already 2 ID's in conflict on this ipad both mine and my daughters and I just want to get these id's gone so my son can then sign in with his own id's

Part of my problem is that I did not sync with my laptop but my daughter must have. I am using my 3 right now as the 1 no longer gets email, has no music, no pictures and iCloud is off.

What is it I would be backing up? I just went to iTunes and it shows me albums/song to purchase and says welcome to my Daughters name and AppleID:her email. it also says it wants to download 37 songs that seem to be mine and now hers, therefore did not download. I used the itunes icon when my iPad first turns on, maybe there is somewhere else?

sorry for being so confusing but now i am.

Jan 30, 2013 7:07 PM in response to karkey

Would you like to give the iPad to your grandson like if it was new? Because that is the best and easiest option of all. All you or your daughter need to do is restore the iPad as new on iTunes just clicking "restore" when you connect the iPad or you can go to settings>general>last option (don't remember the name in english) and there restore the iPad.

Jan 30, 2013 7:41 PM in response to karkey

Oh - you have a restrictions passcode then. I think that you get 10 attempts but that really doesn't matter if you are going to erase the device. You will have to use iTunes now to restore to factory settings and that will remove the restrictions passcode.

You should use the link that Grumpy Gator posted to restore the device. Bear in mind this will erase the device completely and you cannot backup the device and use the backup now because you will be restoring the restrictions passcode that you cannot remember. You will lose everything in the backup - but if you sync with i?tunes you can sync all of your content back to the device - or you can download content again.

But if I understand correctly - you want to erase the device anyway to give it to your grandson - correct?

Newby, how do I receive an answer to a question or do I have to watch and wait?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.