Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High IDLE Temperatures! MBP

Hi.

It has just been one thing after another with my new macbook pro!!!! I am so tired of all this temperature stuff, yet I have another problem. (MBP 15'' 2012)

Now, (this has not happened before - it started a week or two ago) whenever I wriggle my mouse to un-idle my computer after it has been sitting idle for a while, it is at like 50-55 celsius!!!! Idle!!!! What? I mean, I know that is not a high temperature, but for IDLE? It used to me like 34-38 C. (It still is sometimes, but every couple of times it sits idle for a while, it get high.)

Right whenever I start using it, it goes down to about 36-40 c (normal temps while being used).

These temperature issues are really, really starting to tick me off.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue? I have already exchanged this thing for a new one before after getting 96+ (celsius) temperatures while doing nothing much...

(but now they only get up to like 60c....)

Anyways, any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 6:54 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2013 4:56 AM in response to evan9

Open Activity Monitor and set it to show 'All Processes' and '% CPU' to read values from high to low. When the high temperature conditions are existent, check to see what applications may be causing the temperature increase. If not need, click on those applications, then click on the 'Quick Process' button in the Activity Monitor menu bar. Then see if the temperature drops.

Ciao.

Jan 31, 2013 6:08 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks, but I fixed it. Sure enough, it was that usb extender thing I was using to keep form wearing out my usb port. Checking console, after I would put my mbp to sleep, that darn thing woke it up several times all night long. Unplugged it, idle temps are ~28 c, working temps are about 37 c, and gaming is back to a manageable ~60 c. And console shows no processes while sleeping.

Thanks for the tips though.

(I made my answer the "this answered my question" so that nobody would check this topic anymore. Is that how it works, should I of done that? lol (Don't know if answering your own question is against the rules 😝)

High IDLE Temperatures! MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.