Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export a video I created in Quicktime, help?

I just took several short clips from iPhoto and put them together using Quicktime into a short video of 4 minutes long. I want to save it or export it and every time I try, I get an error message saying "Operation stopped. The operation is not supported for this media." I used the Share button to try to save it in Vimeo, iMovie, etc. No matter where I try to put it, it won't work. Ideas?

MacBookPro

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 7:15 PM

2 replies

Jan 31, 2013 4:59 AM in response to noraleet

I just took several short clips from iPhoto and put them together using Quicktime into a short video of 4 minutes long. I want to save it or export it and every time I try, I get an error message saying "Operation stopped. The operation is not supported for this media." I used the Share button to try to save it in Vimeo, iMovie, etc. No matter where I try to put it, it won't work. Ideas?

1) The first step would be to actually determine what you are really trying to do here. Do you want to "Save" or "Export the content? Saving the files would normally provide the bext quality since the data is not actually transcoded while would allow you to convert multiple data compression formats to a single, flattened video track and a single audio track.

2) Next, decide how the content is to be merged. For instance, are all of the clips of the same aspect ratio and/size. If the are, then you could use an app like QT 7 Pro or MPEG Streamclip to perform either a "Save" or "Export" operation. However, if they do not have the same aspect ratio and/or dimensions, then you may want to consider masking/compositing options only available in apps like QT 7 Pro...

a) For instance, you may want to create a fixed size background on which to overlay each unmodified clip to retain its original dimensions and aspect in a display position of your choice.

b) All clips can be scaled and/or prositioned withing the player window and then masked to create a common, shared display area for all clips.

3) Another consideration may be the number and type of file type/compression format combinations which may restict which app(s) can be used to merge your content, as well as, how the finished product is to be viewed or distributed which may affect merging/compositing requirements.

Basically you have many options here that can vary depending on what you are actually doing. For instance, if all clips have the same dimensions, I would normally give the clips alpha-numeric names representing their playback order, simply "drop import" all files simultaneously to the free MPEG Streamclip app, fix timecodes if needed, and then "Save" or "Export" the result as desired or required for further use. As I am not impressed by the consistency of QT X use or it reliability in its various current versions, I would normally use one of the editing apps bassed on "classic" QT here to avoid the idiosyncrasies you seem to be encountering.

User uploaded file

Apr 1, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Jon Walker

The short answer is they want you to pay money by using a "pro" format. They figure if opening imovie and edited in there is too tough they might be able to make some more bucks. The format would be perfect and simple for doing stuff like editing clips. simple. no fixing timecodes etc. i dont know people try to make excuses when everyone knows why you cant do simple stuff when you hsould be able to do so. its called propietary, and it is bad for innovation.

Can't export a video I created in Quicktime, help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.