5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 9:01 AM by dalstott
jondotdot Level 1 Level 1

Hi

I have an oldish Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I want to install Windows on it. Is there an issue with installing bootcamp currently on this machine? The machine was built between 14-18 Oct 1996 in Cork Ireland.

Thank you for your time in looking at my question.

Jonathan

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2 x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon oct96
  • jondotdot Level 1 Level 1

Thankyou

The issue comes in that I have seen an old 2009 Apple document somewhere saying that 3Mhz dual xeon mac pro produced in mid 2006 cannot have bootcamp. Can I assume this is no longer the case???

regards

• dalstott Level 4 Level 4

Should be no problem as I have had BootCamp/Windows XP on a 2006 core duo MacBook for several years. You should use Windows 7 preferably for support reasons.

• jondotdot Level 1 Level 1

Do all Intel-based Macs support Windows 7?

All Intel-based Macs support Windows 7 using Boot Camp 3.1 except these:

iMac (17-inch, Early 2006)

iMac (17-inch, Late 2006)

iMac (20-inch, Early 2006)

iMac (20-inch, Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2006)

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2006)

Mac Pro (Mid 2006, Intel Xeon Dual-core 2.66GHz or 3GHz)

Is this still true and if so is my machine "mid 2006"???? it was manufactured oct 2006?

• dalstott Level 4 Level 4

I looked up the document you refered to at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986. It is in conflict with the Installation manual which I copy below. I would suggest to go over to the Mac Pro community and try to get some clarification.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/mac_pro

For Mac OS X v10.6 systems

• An Intel-based Mac.
    • A Mac OS X v10.6 installation disc. This can be either a purchased copy of a Mac OS X v10.6 disc, or a Mac OS X Install Disc 1 from a Mac that had Mac OS X v10.6 preinstalled.
    • Boot Camp Update 3.1 or later (download this from Apple Downloads).
    • A USB keyboard and mouse, or a built-in keyboard and trackpad.

Important: You should use the keyboard and mouse that shipped with your Mac, or a built-in trackpad.
    • At least 16 GB of free space on the disk onto which you’re installing for 32-bit, or 20 GB for 64-bit (for Microsoft Windows and Windows-based applications).
    • Boot Camp Assistant, which is installed in /Applications/Utilities/.

You will also need one of the following Microsoft Windows discs:

• An authentic, 32-bit Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate disc.
    • With some Macs you can use an authentic, 64-bit Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate disc.