Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I compress a 40+ minute HD video to burn onto a DVD using Compressor 4?

I've been trying to burn a lengthly video to DVD for the past few days, but have run into many problems along the way. The full video is just under 2 hours long (shot in 60i), and I had been using Final Cut Pro X to edit it. Because the video quality had always turned out pixelated when I burned from a 30p sequence, I have since decided to split the video into two 60p parts to get the best quality I could. I tried exporting to H.264 formats to test the footage and everything looked good, but the file sizes skyrocketed past their predicted sizes. The first part is just under 47 minutes long and is 52.03 GB. The second is an hour and 5 minutes long and is 70.95 GB. Also, the resolution on both of them is 1280 x 720. Is there any way I can compress these file sizes to burn onto a DVD with Compressor 4, or are there any alternatives I could turn to?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 4:02 AM

7 replies

Jan 31, 2013 9:41 AM in response to TSlabaugh

Ideally, edit in the format that you shoot.

Since you mentioned 60i, I'm assuming that you shot 1080i60. (The easiest way to conform your project setting to your clip is to let FCP do it automatically with the first clip you edit to the Time Line.

If you created optimized media, then in your playback preferences, choose Use Optimized or Original Media.

You said that you were splitting it into two parts and so you could either use in and out points to select ranges for export or use two separate projects.

I would export a master file as Pro Res 422…expect very large files.

Because you'll be down scaling, I would turn on Frame Controls and set Resize Filter to Best. This will take some time so before doing the final encode, I would do a test encode of a small section. (You can do that in the Preview window by marking in and out points.)

After you're satisfied with the results and are ready to submit, choose whether you want to burn a physical disk or a disk image. (Select the disk image if you anticipate any possibility of burning additional copies in the future.

Good luck.

Russ

Jan 31, 2013 10:53 AM in response to TSlabaugh

I think (hope) so but I'm not entirely sure about the how the timing of certain kinds of edits might be affected. (I'm still in major learning mode when it comes to the new FCP.)

What I do know is that when you create the new project, you should choose standard – at which point you can set the correct resolution and frame rate.

I will be easy enough to test.

Let us know.

Russ

Can I compress a 40+ minute HD video to burn onto a DVD using Compressor 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.