Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download Java version 1.6.0_26-b03-384 for Mac OSX 10.6.8?

Where can I download Java version 1.6.0_26-b03-384 for Mac OSX 10.6.8, please? I cannot find it anywhere on the internet and i need it because Firefox is complaing that the plug-in is inactive which is BS.

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 4:07 AM

28 replies

Jan 31, 2013 4:49 AM in response to xeo14

Snow Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1360

Note: Java 1.6 for Leopard is 64 bit only, but for Snow Leopard it is available for both 32 and 64 bit.

http://www.roguish.com/blog/?p=266

Since August 2012 updates for Java (and especially Java Runtime Environment, which is what you actually need) must now be downloaded direct from Oracle:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1637588.h tml

(which is for Java 7)

Further information here:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1735645

and their FAQ’s:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/mac-faq.html

The recently discovered zero-day flaw in Java 7 is so serious that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned users to disable or uninstall it, and Apple has disabled the Java 7 plugin on Macs through its OS X anti-malware system, in order to protect users from a potentially serious security issue.

You should disable Java (if not already done) until either the US Department of Homeland Security, or Oracle, declare it safe and Apple restore the facility. Oracle have released an update said to fix the security flaw, available from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.h tml

Javascript should not be disabled (it has nothing to do with Java).

However, if you need the Jave 6 JRE and plug-in, MadMAC0 has posted at

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4449038?answerId=20107182022#20107182022&ac_cid=tw123456#20107182

Apple has also posted (Oct 22/12) the approved solution for restoring the Java 6 plug-in:

Java for OS X 2012-006: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 applet plug-in and Web Start functionality.

Jan 31, 2013 5:15 AM in response to Klaus1

That Apple article to reneable Java SE 6 shows Last Modified: Dec 18, 2012. The Xprotect updates which disabled the JRE in Safari are dated beginning 1/11/13. Unless someone has any direct experience using those steps successfully to reenable, I would assume the XProtect update overrides that and reenabling according to that article will not work.

The latest XProtect update, just in, is showing minimum Java version at 1.7.11_22

Jan 31, 2013 6:40 AM in response to xeo14

Thanks to everyone who has responded but I am no better off than I was when I started. The Java JRE7 only seems to be available for Snow Leopard Version 10.7.3. Also re-enabling the applet plug-in didn't work either. I am not a Mac expert as you can probably tell so a link to a download or solution would be much appreciated rather than having to read articles that I don't understand. Thanks again...

Jan 31, 2013 7:48 AM in response to xeo14

I recently got off the phone with a senior AppleCare advisor about this exact issue. I work at a school that uses a program that runs in the JRE on Snow Leopard. This program is now broken at three different schools. They say either upgrade to Lion/Mountain Lion or wait for Oracle to update Java for Snow Leopard (don't hold your breath, Apple ported the existing version for 10.6 themselves). So thank you for the solution of editing the XProtect metadata plist. I was able to get the program running for now.

Jan 31, 2013 8:38 AM in response to xeo14

You need to edit the Xprotect.meta.plist located here

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.p list

.plist is one word

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum</key>

<string>1.6.0_37-b06-435</string>

<key>LastModification</key>

<string>Thu, 31 Jan 2013 04:41:14 GMT</string>

<key>PlugInBlacklist</key>

<dict>

<key>10</key>

<dict>

<key>com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin</key>

<dict>

<key>MinimumPlugInBundleVersion</key>

<string>11.3.300.271</string>

</dict>

<key>com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin</key>

<dict>

<key>MinimumPlugInBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.7.11.22</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>Version</key>

<integer>54</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

Change
<string>1.7.11.22</string>

to whatever version you are using.

But, if this is Snow Leopard, I would strongly suggest getting at least 1.6.0_37, which is installed with Java Update 10.6 Update 11. This is at least the latest version available from Apple. There is a more recent update from Oracle, but for Snow Leopard it needs to be distributed by Apple, and it may never be.

And be extremely careful where you allow Java to run. Your decision; you're on your own.

Jan 31, 2013 8:38 AM in response to xeo14

My machines are behind a firewall and are only used by Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students to run a JRE Applet called Waterford Early Learning. There is no personal information on these machines and they won't be visiting any malicious sites that can take advantage of the Java exploits that Apple's actions with XProtect are supposed to protect against. For those that don't already know XProtect is part of the OS that can silently download updates to protect against malware and trojans.

I see as I'm writing this that WZZZ has posted the specifics I was just about to post. I just edited that .plist file and changed <string>1.7.11.22</string> to <string>1.6.0_37-b06-434</string> because that is the version that Java Preferences says that I have installed.

Make sure you edit the plist as root so the owner/group stays as root/wheel. You can do this in the terminal using sudo pico or by changing the owner and group after editing it in a GUI text editor. I was able to push the modified file out with Remote Desktop after changing the string and now all my machines are working. I also locked the file hoping that it will prevent XProtect from just breaking it again soon.

Don't do any of the above steps unless you are comfortable doing so and make sure you know the risks involved.

Jan 31, 2013 9:27 AM in response to xeo14

xeo14 you can try this, again, at your own risk. This method is a little easier:

Go to the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder and launch the Terminal application

Type this:

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta. plist

Note that there's just a space between TextEdit and /System and you will need to know the root password to do this.

This will open the file in TextEdit which you can then just save after making the changes and it will have the correct permissions. Good luck

Jan 31, 2013 9:42 AM in response to xeo14

Easily done either with the editor pico nano (must enter sudo pico in Terminal) or with TextEdit run with superuser privileges.

Enter this command in Terminal, which will open TextEdit with the elevated privileges you need.

sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit

Hit return

Give your admin password when prompted. It won't appear anywhere when you type it in. Hit return again.

Make the change--just that one line--and then save it.

EDIT: If you use Jon's method, there is a small typo that will prevent it from working. For some reason the Jive software breaks up .meta.plist into .meta. plist. Make sure it's .meta.plist no spaces.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Where can I download Java version 1.6.0_26-b03-384 for Mac OSX 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.