Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Significant battery drain after update to iOS 6.1 (iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S)

Anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 5:38 AM

32 replies

Jan 31, 2013 4:00 PM in response to Oshwagan

Same here. After ios 6.1 update, can't get more than 4 hours max out of my iphone 5. This is with minimal use, a phone call, maybe a couple of emails. No music, video or games. Feels warm too which is something I never felt before the update. Called supported, they emailed me a diagnostic that diagnosed not a battery problem but that there may have been an software error during the update. Was advised to do a back up and a restore. Will do tonight. Hope it helps. What's the point of all the whiz-bang crap the phone can do if it doesn't have the juice to do it?

Btw, apparently, I seemed to be the first they'd heard of that has had such a problem with the update.

Jan 31, 2013 6:03 PM in response to Malte2408

I have the opposite experience on a one-week old factory unlocked iPhone 5 on t-mobile (3G, not 4G) - very good battery life. The usage screen now indicates 8 hours, 49 minutes and Standby of 2 days 0 hours. I upgraded from a 3GS where I could get half a day on 3G if at all and one day on edge with all push notifications off, so now I get more than 2 days on 3G, which is very nice.

Here's my usage pattern:

I've done two full discharge/charge cycles until the phone shuts off automatically since I got the phone, supposedly to condition the battery. I have 4 email accounts, of which one is on push, and 3 on 15-minute fetch intervals (I know from my old phone that push halved my battery life on my 3GS, so was running fetch every 15 minutes instead, which helped a lot). My work account on push gets around 60-80 mails per day, so a lot of "pushing" and I still get 2 days standby and 8 hours use.

Everything else is turned on (GPS, bluetooth, notifications, etc.). I don't like too bright a screen and the setting is still the factory setting, about 2 clicks above minimum brightness. The phone is on at night since I use it as an alarm clock, but I put it on airplane mode for about 8 hours at night to shut off radiation while it's next to my head on the night table.

I talk very little on the phone, less than 15 minutes per day.

Hope this explanation of my pattern helps somebody figure out if they have a faulty phone or not. For me, coming from a 3GS that would last half a day max on 3G, with the same pattern of use, battery life on the iPhone 5 (6.1) quadrupled to more than 2 days, so very nice.

Jan 31, 2013 7:39 PM in response to Malte2408

I'm now noticing a serious charging issue as well.

My phone used to charge within 2 hours plugged into a wall AC outlet.

My phone has now been plugged in for going on 5 hours and it's finally reached 92% from starting at 10%.

This is twice the time it used to take to charge..

WIll this now mean i get double the life? i doubt it since it loses charge like 1 percent every few minutes, that's why it probably takes so long to charge, it's gaining charge just ever so slightly faster than it's losing charge for no reason.

Feb 1, 2013 12:48 AM in response to Mark_Dude

Same here. I've had to leave my 4S with Siri off, most location services off, constantly turning other services on and off only when in use, ever since updating to 6.0. I have even had to have the phone connected to a Mophie Juicepack all the time, which of course makes the phone much larger.

I've tried every fix or workaround. I give up on iPhones now, I've ordered an Android (with known long battery life). I'll sell the iPhone 4S and still have money left over after buying its replacement.

Feb 1, 2013 12:58 AM in response to Malte2408

My phone won't turn on now.

Updated last night before I went to bed. Played around on my computer a bit while listening to Music from my i5 and noticed the back got seriously warm. Took it out of the case so it would cool down and passed out while letting it charge. Was still a little warm when I unplugged it at 9:30am.

Checked my phone at work around 12:30pm when a co-worker and I were talkin about a band, noticed it was down to 50% while sitting idle for 3 hours. And that's with everything off....data, wireless....everything.

Made a phone call then turned it off cuz I didn't want it to die. Turned it back on around 1:30pm, and it was at 20% after being off for an hour ._.

It died before my shift was over which...was sad for a phone in standby. But now I'm tyring to charge it and it isn't doing anything. Neither of my two computers won't detect it (tried different ports and different cables) and it's getting nothing from the wall. Just keeps flashing the Apple logo then turning back off.

Noticed yesterday when it was prompting for the update that the battery was going out fast too. Have had the phone for a week and only over the last two days have I had any issues with the battery.

Feb 1, 2013 1:15 PM in response to FallenAiy

User uploaded file

Ok, my iphone 5 seems to be fixed. What I did was 1). Full backup, 2). Restore the phone as "New Phone" to iOS 6.1, 3). Reset network settings. No additional apps installed.

The above pic was taken the next morning after the restore. This, with location services on and pushing email every 30 minutes. Prior to the restore but after the 6.1 update, I couldn't get 4 hours out of my phone with it just sitting in my pocket in addition to heating up. Pain in the *** resetting email accounts but what can you do. I am only re-installing 2 apps at a time with a day in between to see if one of them was what caused the issue after the update. What a hassle! Will never jump to and ios update again until its been out a while. Good luck all.

Feb 1, 2013 9:37 PM in response to Malte2408

My Iphone 5 is not working as wonderfully previous to this 6.1 update. The battery is draining very fast using LTE and even Wifi or doing nothing by night with airplane mode. I also suspect that usage statistics doesn't work as before that it really showed my use. It is impossible that I have 17h 48 minutes of standby and 13h 30 minutes of usage in 19 hours!!! My battery is now at 1%. Previously to this update I was really at standby for more than 2 days... I want to recover my Iphone before this awful update!

Significant battery drain after update to iOS 6.1 (iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.