Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Time Machine Hard Drive - Can't access files?

Hi

I have just put an external hard drive I have not used for a approx a year into a spare bay in my Mac Pro. It has HD video on it, but was surprised when I rebooted my machine to see it is a Time Machine drive (green and white desktop TM hard drive icon). There is just under 400GB free space of the total 1TB drive, but can only access approx 260GB of that free space.

So, I am wondering if the remainder of the drive - approx 140GB is an old Time Machine backup from either Lion or Snow Leopard.

Time Machine can not see the files nor can I access them via Finder. I only have Mountain Lion on my machine at present, but could partition my Boot SSD drive to add Lion or Snow Leopard on to it.

Is there any reason why I can't access these TM files if they do existing, or could there be other reasons why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 6:41 AM

9 replies

Jan 31, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry, I think it's the way I replied to your last question.

TM remains switched off from doing last clean install and have not used it this time. I now use an SSD for my boot drive and all my important files I use as and when needed are stored on other hard drives.

TM at the moment is swtiched off, but with the paddlock open it is asking me to Select Backup Disk - is this what you meant in your last post? Just wanted to clarify - thanks

Jan 31, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for that. This is what I was expecting to have to do, but wanted to check it here first. I thought it was suspicious that TM not turned on but drive is showing as a TM drive.

Even if the original OS was say Lion or even Snow Leopard, would that matter if now using Mountain Lion.

If not - then it's time to wipe the drive and start again.

Thanks for your help Linc

Old Time Machine Hard Drive - Can't access files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.