Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I factory reset, can I keep Microsoft Office?

I acquired a MacBook from my roommate and I would like to do a factory reset on the machine to wipe it but I was hoping to retain the license of Microsoft Office is currently on the machine. Anyone know if this is possible?

If I were able to get the original Microsoft Office disks, can the license be added again to this same machine once it has been formatted?

Thanks for the help.

MacBook, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:49 AM

• If I were able to get the original Microsoft Office disks, can the license be added again to this same machine once it has been formatted?

You can reinstall from the original disks. You will be asked for the 20 digit product key before you can use the programs.

You will have to do this reinstall if you erase or reformat the hard drive ("factory reset").

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Eric Covert

• If I were able to get the original Microsoft Office disks, can the license be added again to this same machine once it has been formatted?

You can reinstall from the original disks. You will be asked for the 20 digit product key before you can use the programs.

You will have to do this reinstall if you erase or reformat the hard drive ("factory reset").

If I factory reset, can I keep Microsoft Office?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.