Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to copy photo library to external disk?

I would like to copy my personal photographs from Aperture by dragging and dropping. It appears to work but when I try to open it I get a message stating "there was an error opening the database for the library "volumes/disk/mylibraryoriginal.ap library because the file system of the library's volume is unsupported" My Aperture application consists of an

Aperture folder and below this

My Library(original)which is 7GB and is really the only section I want to copy

APTS Aperture3 Library

Folder APTS Aperture book files

Folder Lessond

Folder APTS iPhoto Libray

anf finally

Aperture3 Sample Library.aplibrary

Originally I tried to just copy My Library(original) which is all I want to have backed up BUT got the message mentioned above SO I tried again to drag the complete list but got exactly the same message.

I am using OS X 10.8.2 on my MacBook Pro. Can someone help?

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:08 AM

8 replies

Jan 31, 2013 9:32 AM in response to fenrother

What is the file system of the external drive? If it is not Mac OS X extended then you will get this error.

BTW while you might think that font and color changes in your post are conveying added information that plain text wouldn't that's not the case. Your post is very distracting as it is and will cause a good number of people to ignore it.

One other thing you cannot copy out bits and pieces of the library. Aperture needs the whole thing. If you copy only bits then Aperture will not open the library.

Is it possible to copy photo library to external disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.