Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator doesn't work from managed account

I have a simple Automator script that I created as an Application.

I can double click the file and it runs just fine from my default account.

I also created a managed account for my kids. That account is ONLY blocking web sites. it is set to block ****. All applications are allowed and i even allow changing the dock.

However, I cannot run the Automator Application. When I double click it it simply deselects the icon. Nothing happens.

I can find no reason why it wouldn't be running the application launcher...at all.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 11:34 AM

12 replies

Feb 1, 2013 1:36 PM in response to BDAqua

• Open Spotlight
  • type "Automator"
  • Select "Application" for type of document.
  • Click "Choose"
  • Your cursor will be in the "Name" field. Type "Launch"
  • Double Click "Launch Application" (this will add a Launch Application item to the right side)
  • Select an application to launch or leave the default set to "Contacts"
  • Save the application somewhere you could access it from either this account or a managed account equally well.
  • Close Automator.
  • Open Finder and navigate to the file.
  • Double-click the file.
  • Contacts should open.
  • Log out of this account and log into a managed account (with full application permissions, nothing limited)
  • Try to run the same application file.

On my computer double clicking the file just deselects it... or sometimes I get that -1712 error above.

Feb 7, 2013 1:11 PM in response to CodeCowboy64

1. The solution I would up with was creating a new account (Standard).
  2. Verifying the account could run Automator Apps.
  3. Deleting the old account and leaving its files in place.
  4. Copying all the old files to the new account
  5. Re-setting up ALL my preferences and applications (hours of work)
  6. Now everything runs great.

Soooo obnoxious. I'm sure there was some other fix that could have been done, but Apple didn't seem to care and told me they don't support Automator when I had called them. I wasn't asking for specific script support, just for the basics functioning.

Automator doesn't work from managed account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.