Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IPad Mini Crashes Repeatedly

My IPad Mini at regular intervals crashes. This happens in all apps, i.e it's not specific to just one app like Safari.

Anyway, I can be using my iPad mini to play a game, change my settings or even listen to music when, starting at the top of the screen and descending towards the bottom, blackness obscures the screen. The IPad mini then does something very similar to shutting down, by which I mean the light fades from the screen altogether. A few seconds later, the IPad mini turns on again and the Apple symbol appears. Most of the time, the IPad mini turns on and gets to the lock screen then crashes AGAIN. This happens in a loop about 4 times before it settles down and stops crashing. I then may start listening to music or gaming before it crashes AGAIN

.My IPad mini is a 16GB with wi-if only (no 3G), is a couple of days old and hasn't been mislaid or mistreated in any way. I have also not used much of my storage up, with 10GB left out of the 16GB. I have however used up almost all of my 5GB ICloud storage with 400MB left.

Can I also say agin that these crashes occur regularly, and can happen at anytime, whatever I'm doing.

Help? :)

iPad, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 12:41 PM

Hey,

I would recommend you to restore your iPad mini with iTunes. This article may help you:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Do a backup before restoring, if you don't do this, all your data will be lost and you need to sync it all over!

Hope I solved your question 😉

15 replies

Feb 1, 2013 1:24 PM in response to BenediktRPl

Uh oh... It's started crahing again :/
I think restoring it temporarily fixes it and so I'm restoring it again this second.
I'm guessing the problem must be the programming- the Ipad MIni is very nw at the moment and must have some bugs which (hopefull) will be sorted out with the next iPad mini that comes out.

Thanks for your help thought anyway. 🙂

Feb 18, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Brenters_1998

I have exactly the same problem. Trying to do a backup now but it will not allow me to do so via iTunes, it just crashes everytime I connect it. So I'm using iCloud for the backup, only 5h remaining... I'll try the "restore to factory settings" after but I'm guessing after reading your posts here that it'll do nothing. A replacement might be the only thing.... *sad*

Jan 5, 2014 8:32 PM in response to Brenters_1998

I have a brand new iPad Mini that my Aunt got me for Christmas. Well, I was playing a game

on there and all of a sudden my iPad Mini restarted itself. The Apple logo was on there.

I was like what's going on here. So, I restored it...... So, far I haven't had any problems but

I did talk to this girl yesterday at Verizon Wireless place and she told me that if it starts

acting up again take it to Apple Store in the mall and they'll replace it. I'm like I didn't

get it there ,but she said it doesn't matter because it's not your fault that it's doing that it's

Apple's fault.

Do you think that it's the IOS or the games causing it to crash and restart itself?

I went on Diganostic and Data on it and looked at the crash report. I've never seen

so many.

If you are having problems with your's you can take it to the Apple Store and see

if they'll replace it?

Feb 1, 2014 8:32 PM in response to HPowers34

I had recently did a test with a app called " Clumsy Ninja" (new update) with all gens of iPad and I found that with the iPad running 5.1.1 it crashed 6 times with no other apps opened in 20 mins, the iPad 2/Mini (1st gen) running 7.0.4 also no other apps open had crashed at least 4 or 5 times in 20 mins, the iPad 3 running 7.0.4 no apps open crashed at least once or twice in 20 mins, the iPad 4 running 7.0.4also no apps open only crashed once in the 20 mins, and the Mini (2nd gen) and Air running 7.0.4 no apps open didn't crash at all in the 20 mins.

The Problem is the available RAM in The iPad itself since the 1st iPad had the lowest RAM it crashed like there was no tomarrow, the 2/ Mini (1st Gen) since it has 512 MB of RAM it couldn't handel the sufficient memory and the more RAM the iPad had the better the app Worked and function 3,4, Mini 2, And Air had more RAM and therefore it worked better.

My IPad Mini Crashes Repeatedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.