Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync email across all my apple devices?

I have four Apple devices: iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 4. I manage mail with Mac Mail on all these devices. When I delete mail on one device and go to the next device, this action has not taken place and I have to do it all over again. Three times for each email, etc.

How do I sync Mail on all devices so that an action on one is recognized by all the others?

Thanks.

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 2:06 PM

20 replies

Oct 27, 2013 3:40 PM in response to StevenDavison

I ran a biz providing tech support for over ten years, had over 150 business clients and supported both mac and PC.

To keep my mac users happy and minimize frustration, I would always hook them up with a hosted Exchange account. Google apps or gmail was also an OK choice. For the average user, however, these options will require some help to get set up properly if you want to use your own domain. Look for a local tech support company or check with Craigslist to see if there are any cheap techs in your area.

I have tried iCloud without great results: My clients wanted something that would synch email, calendar, contacts and sometimes notes. iCloud was fine for email I guess, but getting everything else coordinated was either a frustrating act or unavailable.

Jul 6, 2017 10:58 PM in response to GlobetrotterGill

Hie this seems all very helpful, thanks a lot. I'm just having trouble understanding if this involves cancelling my email account altogether ( I have hotmail pop since the 90 and it doesn't sync when I cancel between iMac and iPhone. Terrible) Did you have to eliminate and stop using your original talk talk (not sure about the name) address in order too use imap?

Jan 31, 2013 2:14 PM in response to StevenDavison

If your Mail account is IMAP the sync is automatic.

If it is a POP3 it is impossible. In this case you need to leave the message on the server after read with one device to find it on the other. Thius is how it is working now.

If you wish you can select to delete the message from the server after read and they will not be downloaded to other (but not deleted if the have alredy been downloaded)

No way to see send messages from one device on the other.

More here http://email.about.com/cs/standards/a/imap_basics.htm

Jan 31, 2013 2:56 PM in response to StevenDavison

start using your @icloud or @me email on all devices (not the pop, remove it). Go to your pop account from the web and forward emails from there to your @icloud or @me email.

Now, when an email comes into your pop account, it will be forwarded to your @me or @icloud account. From there it will go to all your apple devices. If you read it, it will be seen as read on all devices. If you reply, you will see the reply on all devices.

pop is so 90's. As the other person mentioned, moving from pop to imap will also fix the problem. You just need to setup the imap servers on all the apple devices.

Feb 22, 2013 1:34 PM in response to StevenDavison

690 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2013 5:00 AM by dawnrazor

Level 1 (15 points)

dawnrazor

Jul 31, 2012 9:47 PM

Hello

I was wondering if there is a way of syncing the sent mail folder across my iPhone, iPad and MBA?

For instance if I send an email from my Air using OSX Mail and my Apple email address. I have no record of this email having been sent when I look at the sent mail boxs on my iPhone or iPad. And the same if I've sent the mail from the iOS device it doesn't show up on the laptop sent mail folder?

Can't see a trick around this, any ideas?

Thanks

This solved my question by dawnrazor on Jul 31, 2012 11:39 PM

okay found it...

this only pertains to iCloud accounts

iOS devices SENT folder defaults to the device. So an email sent from your ipad will be kept on the iPad only. to change this you need to dig a bit...

on your laptop:

open Mail preferences, select Accounts at the top and select your iCloud account. and select mailbox behaviour, tick the check box for sent messages, make sure the delete option is set to never.

okay on each iOS device:

settings / Mail,contacts, calenders / iCloud / account / advanced / advanced / sent mailbox

the default for sent mailbox will be on my ipad/iphone. Change this to Sent Messages.

do this on both iphone and ipad and now your sent mailbox will be mirrored across your ipad / iphone / laptop / iCloud website....

Easy when you know how...

See the answer in context

I have this question too (1) Reply Categories: Mail

Sep 22, 2013 7:56 AM in response to StevenDavison

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I would document it here. I was having similar issues about trying to get all my Apple devices in-sync. Especially if I deleted mail and had to keep deleting all across the board. I am on IMAP so it should have synced. But I couldn't figure out why it wasn't.

Finally discovered the solution. In you iPhone and iPad device, you need to update the default settings for mail. Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendar ->select the email account -> Select Advance (at the bottom of form) -> Mailbox Behavior! Under behavior, you will notice that the default setting is to save on my iPad/iPhone. You need to change this to ON THE SERVER for each folder (DRAFTS, SENT, DELETED and ARCHEIVE.) This will keep your mail synced.

I think Apple uses that as their default as they aren't sure if people are backing up their email. I know when I delete my messages, I want it gone.

Hope this helps future generations as well as you.

Dec 18, 2013 9:17 AM in response to SewHappy58

Hi

I am having the same problem and I followed your instructions. However, when I get to mailbox behaviours, under "On the server" I don't get the options to put into DELETED, DELETED and ARCHIVE. I can only do this for the SENT messages.
The only option for me is to put "on the server' in a file called notes.

Would this work?

How do I sync email across all my apple devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.