Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to "install 'n' go" ease of use??

I posted this elsewhere -- in the MacBook Pro discussion forum -- that really did get me a solution. YET.

The issue is OS related -- NOT machine related.

Okay what ever happen to plug 'n' play or rather install 'n' go?

I'm bumfuzzled. Here's the deal. Recently, I was "gifted" a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 320GB unibody from the parents of a young Marine who was killed in Afghanistan. The parents did not want the MCP and as a family friend I was accorded the solemn honor of accepting it from them.

Here's the problem. There was nothing but the machine when I picked it up from their house. No MagSafe AC adapter. No installation discs. No other software discs. NOTHING.

When I did attempt to boot it up, I was greeted with a LOGON screen to Win7 via BootCamp. After numerous attempts to work around this pesky hurdle -- I decided to scrub the hard drive and start fresh.

My last Mac OS experience was Tiger (10.4) on an iBook -- and that has finally petered out -- and I just have NOT been computing that much.

I am complete NOOBIE when it comes to Mac OS 10.5 -- 10.6 -- 10.7 and most definitely 10.8.

After I scrubbed the HD -- I noticed that this "new-to-me" screen of Mac OS X Utilities was made available and that it instructs me to REINSTALL a new copy of "Lion" {10.7}. I clicked through. A drop down says that:

"to download and restore, your computer's ELIGIBILITY will be verified with Apple"

After I clicked "continue" -- a spinning wheel comes up and it says

"loading installation information"

And it stayed in that state of NO GO ANYWHERE for half the day.

So I called about town and got the suggestion that I get OS 10.6 {Snow Leopard} installed FIRST -- and then MIGRATE UP from Lion and then to 10.8 . That sounded like a plan to me. So, I ordered Snow Leopard from Apple. And then the head scratching had now really begun in earnest.

I have inserted the disc in the Optical Drive numerous times now. Clicked install.

NOTHING.

No wheel of progress. NOTHING.

What happened?? What ever happened to "ease of use"?

Am I doing something wrong.

Addendum. I have drilled down into the machine via Time Machine restore screen into the the Mac OS X Installer utility app to the "System Information" {what to my Old School eyes appears to be what I would have gotten from "About This Mac" or the "Profiler"}

And there I find that the machine is currently holding a base OS of 10.7.2!!

WTH???

Does anybody have any suggestions?? PLEASE??

This ain't supposed to be this complicated. It's a Mac for chrissakes!! HELP ME!!

Wow -- I can't believe it's been over six years since I was here last with a question!!

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 3:30 PM

10 replies

Feb 7, 2013 7:41 PM in response to da dookieman's papa

Oh Dios Mio!

Well, I called Apple Customer Support at 1.800.767.2775 -- spoke with "Tim"

Uhhh -- there are NO system installation discs which Apple, Inc can send me.

The ONLY software "answer" is the retail 10.6.3 Snow Leopard single disc which is the product that I already have. And which is the disc which will NOT load.

"Tim" had NO other answers. He acknowledged that he had heard of this before. But he admitted that he did NOT know what could be done.

{throws up hands in resignation and walks off the stage}

Feb 7, 2013 8:51 PM in response to da dookieman's papa

da dookieman\'s papa wrote:

A drop down says that:

"to download and restore, your computer's ELIGIBILITY will be verified with Apple"

After I clicked "continue" -- a spinning wheel comes up and it says

"loading installation information"

And it stayed in that state of NO GO ANYWHERE for half the day.

May sound like a dumb-question, but when you're doing that, the machine is connected to the internet, right?

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Feb 8, 2013 6:03 PM in response to da dookieman's papa

Completed the all day long 7-PASS HD erasure. Watched pots never cook. So -- I left the house -- went about my day. Ran errands.

Snow Leopard {10.6.3} is in the Optical Drive. Turn machine off and turn it back on using the "option" to get to the DVD. Clicked. Grey Apple icon and grey Finder background. And -- NOTHING.

No wheel of progress. Just -- NOTHING.

What happened?? What ever happened to "ease of use"?

What has happened to the Mac paradigm?

Feb 9, 2013 5:14 AM in response to da dookieman's papa

Two problems. You won't be able to re-install Lion because the upgrade was done under the previous owner's Apple ID.

You can't use the retail installer DVD, because your Mac shipped with 10.6.3 at a build version (10D2094, 10D2125, 10D2063a depending on model) higher than the retail one (10D575).

You need to talk with Customer Services or Sales (not Support) to obtain replacement original discs. You'll need the serial number to get the exact right one. Cost - around $16 per disc + taxes and postage.

Feb 9, 2013 7:15 AM in response to noondaywitch

Thank you, noondaywitch for your reply. I realize that I may sound bumfuzzled (by this circumstance) -- BUT I am NOT unknowing that this is an issue that is not as simple as just getting the right stuff in my hands.

Maybe, I wasn't as CLEAR on my first pass. Allow me another bite at the Apple (intended pun).

I'm not wanting to re-install 10.7. Okay?

I don't want to be at 10.8. Okay? Okay.

I want to be on 10.6.xxx. Snow Leopard. I want to be "untethered" from the BORG cube. LOL. The iCloud. I don't need it.

The retail disc is 10.6.3. That one disc is the ONLY installation disc media that Apple has available at present. OFFICIALLY. There are NO "original install" sets available via the Apple Store. Online. Brick building. Of course, somewhere -- someone -- has 'em.

And yes I supplied the serial number AND the build number along with the model model.

I have spoken to every "civilian user" portal at Apple -- PLUS used an insider to access the Global Service Exchange (GSX) system. I'm searching ebay and other routes to see if I can gather up the elusive install set.

Feb 9, 2013 7:29 AM in response to da dookieman's papa

I've forgotten the exact date, but the white-labelled retail Snow Leopard disk doesn't work on Mac's built after something like April 2010.

As the previous poster said, you need to get the original grey-labelled install disk for your machine's serial number.

Only Apple can give you that (unless the parents of the original owner can dig it out...). You need to call  directly; they're not for sale online. I wouldn't believe or accept anyone at Apple saying they can't supply it. That's simply not the case.

Pressure them. Tell them you're selling the machine - by law (and Apple's own licence), you must sell the machine with the original OS installed.

They have the disk; it's just a matter of convincing them that your need to have it is greater than their desire to have you move to 10.7 or higher.

Feb 9, 2013 9:17 AM in response to softwater

Thank you, softwater ประเทศไทย. I shall -- ummm -- "pressure" them. That sounds like a plan to me. It's just so strange that they are -- in fact -- selling {with glee} a software disc that {as you suggested} does NOT appear to "work."

And I did -- in fact -- buy it from Apple Online and waited {oh -- so impatiently} as they sent it via FEDEX ..

Again -- thanks to all who responded.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.