Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie movies saved (or converted) into other formats?

Is there an easy way to get iMovie files to save as .mpe, .mpg, .mpeg, .dat, or .vob? I looked at all the output types and didn't see any of these. I don't use iMovie very much, so I don't know a lot about it. Thank you in advance for any help.

Melanie

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 6:08 PM

11 replies

Jan 31, 2013 6:18 PM in response to RodneyW

Thank you for trying to help me, RodneyW. Indeed I did check iMovie Help and saw exactly what you just said, that by going to Export using Quicktime, there were many output options, unfortunately, none of which matching what I need. I did realize that one of them is mpeg-4, but I don't think that will be compatible with my needs, three options of which being mpe, mpg, or mpeg. Are you saying that mpeg and mpeg-4 are compatible? I have a very vague memory from a year or so ago that they're not, based on a previous attempt to do something. I will try it though if you are telling me that they are the same/compatible.

Feb 5, 2013 7:55 PM in response to RodneyW

Well, I did the mpeg4/mp4 as you suggested, and it didn't work as I suspected it wouldn't. I also tried manually changing the file extension to mpeg, and mpe, and mpg, since that's what the device says it will accept, and none of that worked, either. I can't believe that iMovie cannot create a movie in a format that would be compatible with my projector! That is completely nuts!!!

Feb 9, 2013 8:25 PM in response to xcwomac

Thanks. Sorry for the delay - I've been a bit busy. Is it reasonable to assume that you are putting the file onto a USB key to read it directly from your projector? According to Epson, it should support MPEG1 through to MPEG 4 from a USB memory key.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/mm85hd/mm85hdug.pdf (pages 37, 42)

The USB memory key will need to be formatted as FAT32 (page 78).

I hope this helps,

Rodney

Feb 10, 2013 1:17 AM in response to RodneyW

RodneyW, no need to apologize. Of all people, I totally understand being a bit busy, and you are not obligated to respond to me.

Yes, I am wanting to put the file onto a jump drive and plug that into the projector so that the projector can access it.

I believe the jump drive is already formatted correctly, since I already have a video on it that I regularly use for my presentations, but it is in .vob format.

As for the PDF you posted, believe me, I am aware of the specifications (that's how I knew about the list of compatible file types in the first place). I actually have had the manual downloaded onto my computer since I first bought the projector over a year ago, and have referred to it a number of times, so the reference you provided to the manual is not new information to me. The pages you cited are also not new to me. I read all of that. I know that pages 37 and 42 refer to MPEG 4, which iMovie can produce, however that file extension is not in the list of useable extensions on the bottom of page 78. The fact that I produced the MPEG 4 version, put it on the jump drive, tried it with several different extensions, and none of them would play, showed that it doesn't work.

I do know however that the .vob format works for sure. Why can't iMovie simply produce .vob? I don't understand how it could be so difficult for iMovie to do that.

I readily admit that I am feeling stubborn and annoyed about this by now. I already feel the need to apologize for being maybe combative and defensive, so I am sorry. I just don't understand why this has to be so complicated, and I also feel mildly annoyed that somebody would assume that I didn't already do the due diligence of looking up the topic for myself in the manual's information, and cite pages and info as if I wasn't already aware of it, when I thought my discussion up to this point would have showed that I was aware of the manual and the specifications. At the same time I know that it is rude of me to be annoyed when somebody is only trying to help me, so I'm sorry that I'm annoyed by it.

If somebody were able to tell me if my thinking (knowledge) about the whole mpeg issue is flawed, and if so, how it is flawed, I would welcome the new information. But to me right now it looks like pages 37 and 42 partially contradict the list on page 78.

If somebody could tell me exactly what I need to do in order to make this work, I would love to follow steps.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMovie movies saved (or converted) into other formats?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.