Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to edit clips without effecting the audio positions etc.

I try to edit clips before adding audio, but most of the time I'll have to do some adjustments to the clip - and this effects the audio's positions "on" the clip and the position against other audio.

Is there a way to make the audio "hang" as it is, and ONLY edit clips?

I want the music in the timeline to stay as it is, even if I cut out clips or edit them in length.

Tips?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 10:08 PM

make the audio clip the main item in the primary storyline and use all the video as connected clips to the audio.

User uploaded file

You can add connected clips over and/or under the the storyline and can arrange your cuts that way as well.

You can add the audio directly into the main storyline by selecting it in the Event Browser and typing the E key, just like any other clip (and you can optionally simply drag it into the main storyline as well.) You cannot, however, use the Overwrite to Primary Storyline option (command-option-down arrow) to move audio into the main (primary) storyline (but once it is in the primary storyline, you can Lift from Primary Stroryline to move it back down under the primary.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2013 10:08 PM in response to Lillianw83

make the audio clip the main item in the primary storyline and use all the video as connected clips to the audio.

User uploaded file

You can add connected clips over and/or under the the storyline and can arrange your cuts that way as well.

You can add the audio directly into the main storyline by selecting it in the Event Browser and typing the E key, just like any other clip (and you can optionally simply drag it into the main storyline as well.) You cannot, however, use the Overwrite to Primary Storyline option (command-option-down arrow) to move audio into the main (primary) storyline (but once it is in the primary storyline, you can Lift from Primary Stroryline to move it back down under the primary.)

Feb 1, 2013 7:28 AM in response to fox_m

"You cannot, however, use the Overwrite to Primary Storyline option (command-option-down arrow) to move audio into the main (primary) storyline (but once it is in the primary storyline, you can Lift from Primary Stroryline to move it back down under the primary.)"

Does this mean I can only add the audio in the storyline when starting a prosject, not during?

And it is all about drag and drop? 🙂

Feb 1, 2013 10:37 AM in response to Lillianw83

No. You can add audio from the Event Browser into the primary storyline anytime using E (Append), W (Insert) or D (Overwrite) keys. It's just like adding any other kind of clip. Once the audio is in the primary storyline, it can be "lifted" (it will actually go downward to under the storyline becoming a connected clip) but if you have audio already in your project, using the Overwrite to Storyline command (command-option-down arrow) will not work with audio clips. There actually doesn't seem to be any way to do an overwrite edit with audio inside the project, either by key commands or drag and drop.

How to edit clips without effecting the audio positions etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.