Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview and TextEdit Don't Quit When I Close Them

Until recently, apps like Preview, TextEdit, and QuickTime Player would quit when I close all of their windows and direct away from them. For example, if I open an image, close the window, and then clicked on a webpage so that at the top of my screen, it said, "Safari" and no longer said "Preview," Preview would quit itself. Now, none of those app do so anymore, and I have to manually quit them. How do I get that feature back?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:41 PM

16 replies

Jan 31, 2013 8:59 PM in response to MacOSXNoob

This is not a feature to restore.

Preview and TextEdit do not quit when you close all the windows.

Different software respond differently to closing the window- some actually do quit the program, but this is limited in general.

For example System Preferences windows.

Preview in closing all the windows would remain open, but as soon as you click the desktop (Finder,) or say Safari Preview would lose the focus in the upper left corner- that is not the same as quitting.

Feb 10, 2013 2:56 PM in response to MacOSXNoob

Nobody had it. But, it may have auto-terminated which is a feature introduced in Lion and made more robust in Mountain Lion.

An app may Auto-terminate if no windows are open and it hasn't been used in a while and the OS needs the memory.

Part of the process may just move it into a state of limbo between open and quit in case you open it again. That way it opens quickly, but is ready to be terminated if needed.

http://www.zdnet.com/automatic-termination-makes-its-way-to-os-x-lion-and-mounta in-lion-7000002850/

Preview and TextEdit Don't Quit When I Close Them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.