Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Combo Update If I Already Have OS X 10.8.2

Hi there! 🙂

My Macbook Pro 2011 slowed down drastically after the Mountain Lion installation (it wasn't a clean installation... just updated it straight, from Snow Leopard). I just heard about the combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581 so was wondering if this will fix the issue or it's no point since I'm already using 10.8.2... Btw, when I installed Mountain Lion the version I got was 10.8.2...

Just wondering... 😕

Thanks!! 🙂

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:13 PM

You could try it. It may fix something if the something was modified in the update.

However, the something may be incompatible third-party software.

22 replies

Jan 31, 2013 11:07 PM in response to woofmatix

If you uninstall Sophos, does the performance improve? The other two (Rip, Smart Converter) seem to be rippers? I don't know if they can cause a problem or not. I'd try uninstalling Sophos - are you running Windows? If not, why do you feel you need Sophos? Since there are no viruses currently for Mac, the guard seems to be a bit superfluous.

Feb 1, 2013 8:19 AM in response to woofmatix

I'd try the Sophos; after that, I'd try the rippers - we aren't really allowed to discuss anything that has to do with circumventing DRM/copyright issues, so depending on what you use those for, we might not be able to help troubleshooting those. Couldn't you scan your flash drives on the office Windows machine before you take them home?

Feb 3, 2013 5:38 AM in response to woofmatix

1) Did you uninstall using Sophos' uninstaller? Just wondering if there is something still arround.

2) What is slow about the bootup? Is it stuck on the gray screen for a while, or is it slow loading up all the programs that were left open when you restarted?

3) You might try ClamXAV for scanning those files you transfer. It can just sit there and not do anything until you want to scan those files with it. However, you might be able to set up Sophos to not be so intrusive, also.

Thomas has a lot of good advice, here: Mac Malware Guide

Feb 3, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Barney-15E

I unistalled Sophos using the uninstaller...

Well, during bootup the Apple logo and the spinning grey wheel are on the screen for about 45-60 seconds... Then it goes to the desktop... So by the time the desktop settles it takes a total of about 1:15 mins.. I used to be able to boot up within 30-40s on Snow Leopard...

I'll check that for the Malware Guide... Thanks!

Installing Combo Update If I Already Have OS X 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.